Author Topic: Updated HT Pics  (Read 5333 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Updated HT Pics
« on: December 23, 2014, 08:48:59 PM »
I changed things around a bit.   The Polk RTI12+ CSi5 fronts are gone, replaced with Polk in-wall RT65. This gives the Carver Amazings room to breathe while maintaining a decent HT experience:

Untitled by JSifontes, on Flickr

Offline vstarkwell

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Bass!!!!!!!!!
Re: Updated HT Pics
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 09:36:45 PM »
That's a sweet room!!!, lot's of big boy toys. Good job Pepe!!

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 09:46:52 PM »
Pepe-can you use the Amazings with the HT given your new arrangement?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 10:54:36 PM »
MacG->  No,  the HT uses the Polk in-walls, the Amazings are music only,  no  subs involved or needed  :D  Two separate systems.

Offline TNRabbit

• Audio Geek!
  • WTF are you looking at?
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 11:03:55 PM »
Nice!
TNRabbit

Carver SD/A-360 CDP feeding  Benchmark DAC-1
Sunfire Theater Grand-IV Processor/Sunfire Cinema Seven Signature Amp
Ashly XR-1001 & Rane PEQ-15s biamping AL-IIIs

Offline AdamG

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 11:38:16 PM »
Lookin' good!

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 09:11:53 AM »
Marvelous, marvelous...that looks wonderful. I was thinking along the same lines of getting rid of my Klipsch speakers for HT and going with in wall so the stereo system had room to breath. I just couldn't quite get there... the La Scalas also perform well in 2 channel.

Tell us more about your turntable. I see you sold the Technics and the Grado cartridge and went with the VPI Aries and Van de hul cartridge. Was there a big difference in sound? There was a tricked out VPI Scout for sale locally for $1200 that I was noodling over before it disappeared off CL. It had a bunch of upgrades.

Room is looking great, purpose built, that's what I like. Nice clean lines ..no clutter. Looking good
Tinpan

If you can read this message, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a veteran

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 09:59:21 AM »
Thank you Tinpan for recognizing I picked up a bunch of reels and records from the floor and vacuumed the floor to take that picture.  8)

The VPI Aries is huge (like 1 1/2 times the width of a regular TT) and has no dust cover,  so it picks up dust like a magnet (I have an acrylic case that is supposed to emulate a dust cover but rarely use it).   I have it connected to a VPI speed controller. The Van de Hul Frog cart is absurdly expensive.  Adjusting the arm requires a unique jig that comes with the unit. 

So...  Is it any better than a Rega RP1,  Technics SL-1200, etc.?   God yes!  I would have never bough a TT setup like that normally (like $7K bucks all together,  probably more if you include the carbon fiver 'feet').   But a deal presented itself and I went for it. I am not sorry I did.  With the right LP it makes a huge difference.  I thought this acquisition was going to be "amplifier currency" - I would eventually turn the turntable into an amplifier through trades.  I am not trading it any time soon.

I will post pics later - the TT is on the far right of the pics and outside the field of view. 

As a side note,  the  Steve WVU who sold this TT to me has some experience with the VPI Scout (and other VPIs) and did not think it was up to par with other VPIs,  if memory serves me. 

Regards,

OBG

bmwr75

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 10:13:31 AM »
You need more stuff Pepe!!