Author Topic: A little update  (Read 11801 times)

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: A little update
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 06:56:38 PM »
Those big white horns are beautiful.  They remind me of the Sousaphones from high school and college marching band.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2014, 09:12:13 PM »
I played Sousaphone in high school marching band.

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 01:11:39 AM »
Exceptional looking systems.  Lot's of nice looking and great sounding equipment there.  The photography is also superb!

Is that a Packard in the garage?
Carl

bmwr75

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2014, 08:59:43 AM »
And my wife thinks I got a lot of audio stuff!!   ;D

Nice set-ups.

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2014, 09:23:15 AM »
BJ, yes those are Jabo horns from Germany. He sells them on ebay. He also sells the machined metal adapter ring pictured below:

In essence these are baby VOTTS. It uses the Altec 288 driver. This is the ferrite magnet version which also weighes 30 lbs. The ferrite magnet version is rated at 15 wpc and the alnico version is rated at 40 WPC. The ferrite version plays a little higher in frequency but everyone goes for the Alnico ones.

These horns really throw the sound forward so you either have to be way back to get the right imaging or very specific when lining these speakers up. The sweet spot is about a foot wide at 15 feet and it's very nice, almost like giant headphones but it's a bitch to line them up.

Gary Gill in Baltimore makes the Sousa Horn, as he calls it.It's based on the Azura horn and uses a Le Cleche curve. This one actually images better than any speaker I have.

While the Altec drivers incredibly detailed, the Lowthers are vary warm sounding. I can sit for hours completely mesmerized by Miles Davis's Lonely fire on the baby VOTT system. It just ticks away and plucks the ears, very intimate and up close

The Lowther system gently wraps it's arms around you and hugs you warmly with songs like Gene Harris's This Masqurade or Charile Rouses's When Sunny gets the blues.

The multi cells on the A5 system also images very well, not what I was expecting. It images far better than the 511b.

I like the Heywood wakefield furniture too, it just seemed to fit in with the Klipsch La Scalas in the raw birch finish. I am still trying to pick up a couple more of the end tables to use for amp stands. As you can see the tops of those come off. The Cornwalls are actually closer in color to what I want but I am sure the right La scales will come along one day. I was very close to picking up a pair of Belles but the seller backed out.

Rev, you or anyone else is welcome to stop by. I do have a spare bedroom and we can set up cots in the garage if needed, lol.

Schwarcw, Yes that is a Packard and a couple of others, I seem to  have an affinity for them:

I spent my whole life growing up around my father's Packard waiting for him to restore it and get it on the road. I bought this place and over the years have acquired Packards in the hopes it would motivate him to fix his up. The plan was for him and mom to move in here, she's 90 and he's 94. Mom could watch the kids play in the pool and dad and I could hang out in the garage, but it's looking like that will never happen, he is rather stubborn. Ah well... I can only provide the opportunity which I have.

Anyway, the garage really was planned for just cars but it's kind of turning into a dual use facility. The trick is moving the cars around the audio systems.

What can I say...all of this stuff just followed me home...piece by piece.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:26:08 AM by tinpan »
Tinpan

If you can read this message, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a veteran

bearjew

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2014, 09:36:54 AM »
And my wife thinks I got a lot of audio stuff!!   ;D

I actually showed this thread to my wife to convince her to re-evaluate my equipment.  It didn't work :'(

What can I say...all of this stuff just followed me home...piece by piece.

The puppy too?

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2014, 09:24:16 PM »
Nice collection of Packards!

My dad had two Packards as we were growing up.  He sold both before 1962 so I don't remember a lot about them.  One was a yellow convertable that he didn't have very long.  The other was a blue/green color with power windows.  He was fond of both of those cars.  He sold automobile parts and was a novice mechanic.  He taught me a lot about car mechanics.  Most of which I forgot as I grew older LOL!

Carl

Offline TNRabbit

• Audio Geek!
  • WTF are you looking at?
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2014, 05:20:25 AM »
It's been a while, tinpan; I need to get back over to your place soon!  It's a shame we live only a few miles apart & don't visit very often--my fault!
TNRabbit

Carver SD/A-360 CDP feeding  Benchmark DAC-1
Sunfire Theater Grand-IV Processor/Sunfire Cinema Seven Signature Amp
Ashly XR-1001 & Rane PEQ-15s biamping AL-IIIs

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2014, 08:50:49 AM »
Come on over, I'll be in and out today but I'll be hanging out all day tomorrow. The Sunfire seems to be working and I've been enjoying it. I promise I won't besiege you with the SET stuff.
Tinpan

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2014, 09:04:12 AM »
Forget the SS, beseige him with SET glory until he submits!  Offer no quarter!
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2015, 09:38:54 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G_0DDZs5gc&list=UUN3lqZczgXHO2Ox9qjA2BhA
Rabbit did come over and he as always helped me set the levels on my subs correctly. He does know that TGIV
Tinpan

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2015, 09:19:35 PM »
Video won't play and the caption reads  "this video is private"
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2015, 11:30:07 PM »
Worked fine for me.

Offline TNRabbit

• Audio Geek!
  • WTF are you looking at?
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2015, 12:32:24 AM »
Works for me, too~
TNRabbit

Carver SD/A-360 CDP feeding  Benchmark DAC-1
Sunfire Theater Grand-IV Processor/Sunfire Cinema Seven Signature Amp
Ashly XR-1001 & Rane PEQ-15s biamping AL-IIIs

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2015, 07:54:29 AM »
Worked this morning...strange.