Author Topic: New home theater layout  (Read 16386 times)

bmwr75

Re: New home theater layout
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 06:00:41 PM »
Lots of great suggestions guys.   Thanks for all the input.

I've already prewired it for a 7.2 set up.  I am not jumping on the Atmos wagon most likely ever.  Bought a Denon AVR4820 CI to run it all.  My HT speakers are all Klipsch, so they are not a huge load on the amp section.  Am probably going to purchase a Sony VPLHW40ES projector.  Don't think it does 4K, but once again I got over being on the bleeding edge of HT technology a long time ago (and the premium price to be paid for the equipment).  However, will consider a 4K projector if anyone knows of a great one in the $2000-2500 range.  Since am already paying to build a new house, the money supply is limited.

Pepe, am planning to buy a Carada Criterion fixed screen.  That is what I had in Pgh and was very happy with it.  A 134" runs just a hair less than $1000.

bmwr75

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 06:27:34 PM »
Did run a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the AVR and sources.

bmwr75

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 07:57:42 PM »
I guess some explanation is merited.   In 1997 I jumped feet first into HT.  Bought a 50" rear projection standard definition TV for probably $3000 (sold it for about $500 three years later).   In 2000 replaced it with a $4000 65" read projection HD TV.   About 5 years later I had to give away the 65" behemoth to get rid of it.   About that same time HDMI came out and the first two Denon AVRs I had bought at the cost of about $3800 became obsolete for video switching and digital decoding.  So I grew weary of chasing the everchanging HT equipment developments.  My approach now is to buy the 3 year old technology and save a ton of money.   The only HT projector I ever owned previously was a 720P Mitsubishi that threw a 102" picture in a 100% light controlled basement...............was happy with it until it was sold to the new home owner in August 2014.

The AVR I just bought sold for $2999 when it came out a few years ago.  It is now discontinued and I got it for $1099.   :)

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 08:52:04 PM »

I've already prewired it for a 7.2 set up.  I am not jumping on the Atmos wagon most likely ever.  Bought a Denon AVR4820 CI to run it all.  My HT speakers are all Klipsch, so they are not a huge load on the amp section.  Am probably going to purchase a Sony VPLHW40ES projector.  Don't think it does 4K, but once again I got over being on the bleeding edge of HT technology a long time ago (and the premium price to be paid for the equipment).  However, will consider a 4K projector if anyone knows of a great one in the $2000-2500 range.  Since am already paying to build a new house, the money supply is limited.

Pepe, am planning to buy a Carada Criterion fixed screen.  That is what I had in Pgh and was very happy with it.  A 134" runs just a hair less than $1000.

At that price point your will not get even close to a 4K projector (and beware of anything claiming to be 4K near that price - it is probably simulated 4k,  not native! [but if you find one - buy two and sell one to me]).

I remember the Carada at your house - great screens - and they are, by definition, tensioned. I like my motorized elite screen but would not mind getting rid of a waves in areas of the screen that are not completely flat. Next one will be tensioned.

P

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 10:05:07 PM »
bmw-I am with you.  Any gear with video capabilities falls in value like a rock.  I use a plasma TV to switch HDMI and run the audio (and baseband/component video for the other zones in my house) through the pre-pro.  My Oppo analog audio out is fed directly into the pre-pro to skip it's processor and the need to stay up to the minute with the audio and video technology (the cable box is never completely up to date).  As long as the flat screen and DVD player are current tech, so is the rest of the system.  This saves me well over 1/2 of new and yet maintains superior audio and video performance.

Your room looks great; I wish I had that much space.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 10:25:40 PM »
Very cool Scott!  I am envious but I am brooding because I can't come over to watch movies.

I have an alternate approach to HT.  I encourage my friends to spend a lot of money on their HT sound and video systems.  Then I can go over to their houses to watch movies and eat snacks.  It saves me money.  Please feel free to invite me to your home, I will come!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 10:27:25 PM by schwarcw »
Carl

bmwr75

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2015, 10:34:29 PM »
Carl, you are welcome to visit us in NE MS after we get moved in.  Should be about March 1 at latest.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2015, 07:49:43 AM »
Hey Scott, 

Very wise in not chasing cutting edge technology.  Its an expensive lesson to learn. And besides, some folks think the content is more important. 

That room should sound great no matter what you decide.  You should sell tickets!!!

take care
Mike
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

bearjew

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 09:16:11 AM »

don't know anything about them for the most part, but they do exist in that price range: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lumax-Imaging-4K-HDLMX-FULL-HD-1080P-LED-Projector-with-HD-FULL-1080P-Compatible-/111186449672?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item19e33a9508

i would love to have 4k.  3d and crap like that is a gimmick ,but 4k really will take over just because it's super hi-res.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2015, 10:33:00 AM »
BJ - that is one of the "not-4K-but-claims-4K" projectors, considered a white van item. Definitely not worth 2300 bucks,   I am not sure I would pay 200 for it.  Native resolution is 1080P (1920 X 1080),  and even at that it has a bad rep.  Stay away from it!

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/1314432-white-van-projector-scam.html

Anders

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2015, 10:42:08 AM »
I saw a big curved screen tv at Sams that was supposed to be hi-res but the color looked so fake on it.
My 1984 Sony Profeel looks alot better.

bmwr75

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2015, 11:13:40 AM »
I am not on the 3D bandwagon either.  Smells like a fad to me.  Same for curved screens, but I might be wrong on that count, time will tell.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2015, 11:42:12 AM »
I saw a 4K display over the holidays that stopped me dead in my tracks.  When the time comes, I'll give it serious thought if there is enough program material available.  I didn't care for 3D in the theater and believe a very good quality, properly set up standard screen has a fair amount of depth to begin with.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2015, 11:55:53 AM »
yep, run as many circuts as possible.... I ran two for audio, and another for the other plugs around the room. make sure to wire so sub(s) are on their own... and you'll want to make sure that the two for audio are on seperate sides of the box to avoid any ground loops! trust me on this! lol 
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2015, 01:00:48 PM »
Carl, you are welcome to visit us in NE MS after we get moved in.  Should be about March 1 at latest.

It is my quest to visit you there!  Hopefully soon!
Carl