Author Topic: Old English Lemon Oil on forte's?  (Read 7863 times)

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
Re: Old English Lemon Oil on forte's?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 03:42:15 PM »
I'm not familiar with your speakers but if they are veneered go easy on any oil. Its possible to overdo it and eventually the veneer will lift off the base wood.  The oil will eventually soak down throught the thin veneer and disolve the glue.  I prefer paste wax. 

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 07:00:34 PM »
I agree with F1Nut that something like Watco Danish oil is your best bet.  F1 is a professional wood worker, restore, etc.  He has always given me great advice on wood refinishing and electronics.  He has strong opinions but he usually is right.
Carl

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 07:10:43 PM »
I haven't tried the Watco, but will give it a try on a pair of KLHs that need some serious cosmetic attention.  For general cleaning and upkeep, I like Milsek
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 07:50:36 PM »
I bought some Old English with lemon oil for my Carver ALS Silvers. I think they're solid oak. They're in excellent condition but I thought it would be a good idea to treat the wood. For years I used Liquid Gold on my JBL L100s that I bought new in the 70s and they still look great. My older son has them now and still uses Liquid Gold on them.

They are oak veneer finished with a clear coat, in this case lacquer. As such you cannot treat the wood as the lacquer will not allow what is nothing more than an oily (refined petroleum oil) mineral spirits solvent with lemon scent (no lemon oil) added to penetrate the clear coat. That product simply sits on the surface and evaporates within a few days. Bottom line, it's a complete waste of money and time.

'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 07:55:15 PM »
Don't mind F1nut, Ray, not only does he usually project his subjective opinion as the only possible answer, but he also lacks any ability to interact in with others in any manner approaching civil.

Any lemon oil works fine.  Much, much better than motor oil....

Nothing subjective about it, it's a fact presented by a professional.  As for the rest of your comment.....would you like to buy a vowel?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline raynist

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2015, 08:11:47 PM »
I'm not familiar with your speakers but if they are veneered go easy on any oil. Its possible to overdo it and eventually the veneer will lift off the base wood.  The oil will eventually soak down throught the thin veneer and disolve the glue.  I prefer paste wax.

Interesting, didn't realize I could over do it.

May try the Howard feed wax next time.

Offline Comten

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2015, 08:56:15 PM »
Both products are great. For cleanup, use the lemon oil. For restoration, use the danish oil. As for motor oil...synthetic or non-synthetic???

Speaking of motor oils - being a vintage site and all - anyone remember ARCO gas stations, the old Atlantic gas stations? Remember their ARCO graphite motor oil? Only oil I recall that looked dirtier out of the can than what you would find in the pan...

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 02:04:32 AM »
I bought some Old English with lemon oil for my Carver ALS Silvers. I think they're solid oak. They're in excellent condition but I thought it would be a good idea to treat the wood. For years I used Liquid Gold on my JBL L100s that I bought new in the 70s and they still look great. My older son has them now and still uses Liquid Gold on them.

They are oak veneer finished with a clear coat, in this case lacquer. As such you cannot treat the wood as the lacquer will not allow what is nothing more than an oily (refined petroleum oil) mineral spirits solvent with lemon scent (no lemon oil) added to penetrate the clear coat. That product simply sits on the surface and evaporates within a few days. Bottom line, it's a complete waste of money and time.

My ALS Silvers are not veneers and do not have a clear coat. They are solid natural finish wood.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2015, 04:37:50 AM »
They couldn't find oak trees that wide and I didn't see any glue joints, so it has to be veneer. It may not look like it to you, but it has a clear coat finish.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2015, 04:39:07 AM »
Speaking of motor oils - being a vintage site and all - anyone remember ARCO gas stations, the old Atlantic gas stations? Remember their ARCO graphite motor oil? Only oil I recall that looked dirtier out of the can than what you would find in the pan...

I remember.

Offline hewlew1

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2015, 10:21:45 AM »
I have a pair of Amazing Plats in oak and they are veneer I know this as on the back of one baffle it is starting to lift.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2015, 05:03:36 PM »

According to the Carver owner's manual there are two versions: genuine oak & black lacquer

"Genuine Oak Model": Your speakers are finished with a natural oil and may be treated like any fine furniture. We suggest occasional cleaning/polishing with a fine furniture oil or cleaner such as Pledge. 

"Black Lacquer Model":  The speaker panel is finished in high quality polyurethane acrylic enamel which is as durable as it is beautiful. The high gloss finish requires approximately four to six weeks to final cure. With proper care, the finish can be maintained almost indefinitely.
   The finish is similar to that used on fine automobiles, and should be treated accordingly.
It then gives some additional warnings pertaining to exposure to sunlight etc.  It also goes on to explain that these lacquered panels are constructed of high density composite material which can be dented, gouged, or chipped with sufficient pressure. Scratches and gouged, however can often be successfully removed. Use either a soft cloth our a commercially-designed cloth for all polishing, waxing and cleaning. Other materials may scratch the finish.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2015, 09:28:19 PM »

According to the Carver owner's manual there are two versions: genuine oak & black lacquer

"Genuine Oak Model": Your speakers are finished with a natural oil and may be treated like any fine furniture. We suggest occasional cleaning/polishing with a fine furniture oil or cleaner such as Pledge. 

Obviously Bob is mistaken.

(Since I was accused of trolling before, I thought I would actually troll once so you can see what it looks like.)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:30:07 PM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2015, 10:34:39 PM »
No way that there is a lacquer finish. I'm adding to my bucket list that I can post something without controversy. Anyway I have bigger problems to deal with so I give up. I'm outta here. I'd rather spend my time listening to music anyway...

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2015, 02:44:06 AM »
Locking before the thread gets totally nerfed.
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable