Author Topic: What HT speaker stands are in use - knockdown kits, DIY, modded barr stools?  (Read 8147 times)

Offline Comten

• Double Secret Probation!
Hello all,

Was wondering what folks are doing to get their old-skool "bookshelf" speakers up off the floor to get the tweeters up to about that 30" height for HT use?

Bookshelf is in quotes as A25s, OLAs, ADC 303AX for example are some heavy and big-azz "bookshelf" speakers compared to the plastic-fantastics being sold. That plus I refuse to use anything else for front or rears than the classic bookshelves of yesteryear.

Been using a pair of old kitchen table chairs for the fronts, for the rears I have them stacked up on Fisher STV-7something house-rockin monkey coffins.

But they are now too far up there for the Fishers and the chairs look hootchie. Can't stay like this...

So - anyone know of plans for home-made stands tall enough and strong enough to hold say, a Larger Advent up to about ear levels across with a couch?
Something from IKEA?
Or one of the many "home goods stores" that have popped up? A Lowes or Homey Depot?

I was tempted to see what kind of 4-legged - and cheap - wooden bar-stools can be snagged and modded to hold them up and away from a back wall but without fear of toppling at the slightest bump.

Thanks for the ideas!

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
Milk crates served me well at one point in time.  They occasionally still do if I'm demoing smaller speakers and need to grab a set of stands.
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

bmwr75

I used a pair of Electrovoice EV-4s turned on their sides as speakers stands for Dahlquist DQ-10s for a long time.

If you live in the Pittsburgh area, there is a fellow in Irwin that builds speaker stands.  They are nicely built.  I just got him to build me a new center channel stand and ship it to MS.

http://www.gwizpro.com/stands/

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
I used a pair of Electrovoice EV-4s turned on their sides as speakers stands for Dahlquist DQ-10s for a long time.

If you live in the Pittsburgh area, there is a fellow in Irwin that builds speaker stands.  They are nicely built.  I just got him to build me a new center channel stand and ship it to MS.

Hey Scott, 
Did you ever stop by their place when you lived here?  I wondered if he had a showroom over there. 

take care
Mike
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
I'm bracketed to the walls.   My special needs son would simply knock over stands/towers.   It's working well for our purposes.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Those wall mounted stands on Scott's link could be really good.   I'll file that away for future consideration.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
I use VTI that have adjustable height for the rears, A Sanus for the center and some black cheap "boxes" from Home Depot that I reinforced for the sides to elevate the DQ-20s.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

bmwr75

Hey Scott, 
Did you ever stop by their place when you lived here?  I wondered if he had a showroom over there. 

take care
Mike

Never did actually do to his place of business.  He built me a pair of speaker stands while I lived in Irwin and delivered them to the house, but I was at work, so did not get to meet Tom.

Offline Comten

Thanks all for the replies! Definitely need to insure that whatever I end up with, is sturdy enough to deal with toddler grandkids pawing at them or the occasional adult bump-into. Maybe inverted boxes make the most sense for stability...

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
  Was wondering what folks are doing to get their old-skool "bookshelf" speakers up off the floor to get the tweeters up to about that 30" height for HT use?

Are the tweeters at ear height for you at 30" as that's pretty low. The tweeters in all of my floor standing and stand mount speakers are between 39" to 40" high, which is ear level.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline Comten

Are the tweeters at ear height for you at 30" as that's pretty low. The tweeters in all of my floor standing and stand mount speakers are between 39" to 40" high, which is ear level.

I was under the impression you were to make them "ear height" when seated out in front of the TV. That plus it gets the woofers up a bit as well.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
Ear height when seated is 39 to 40 inches. Given the average seat height is 18" with the tweeter at 30" would put the tweeter at just below chest level.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Thanks all for the replies! Definitely need to insure that whatever I end up with, is sturdy enough to deal with toddler grandkids pawing at them or the occasional adult bump-into. Maybe inverted boxes make the most sense for stability...

Depending on how close to the wall you go, you may want to use some guide wire or plastic duct strapping to secure the speakers to a wall anchor point.

Speakers can be replaced, toddlers can't.   If your back jack has screws, back one or two out and use them as a secure point.