Author Topic: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Mod ~ F1 Signature Version  (Read 15024 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Re: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Mod ~ F1 Signature Version
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 08:17:35 PM »
Jesse - I think you meant to write 18 and instead wrote 180. 

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 01:53:52 AM »
No, I meant 180 hours.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 09:17:48 AM »
I understand now - you mean 180 hours of burn-in,  not 180 hours of work to build the x-over.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 12:26:54 PM »
Ah yes, that's correct. I'm not sure how long the actual work time was as I didn't keep track.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 08:23:33 PM »
Most excellent Jess!  Thanks for taking the time to show us your fine work!

Did you find stand for these yet?
Carl

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 05:34:53 PM »
So, has anyone completed their mods yet?

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 08:57:46 PM »
No... trying to get a group build going with a few others.
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 10:48:45 PM »
Slackers  >:D

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 09:29:33 PM »
Slacker!  Well...yes. But here's why. I pulled my old home theater speakers out of storage....A pair of the original NHT SuperOne, a pair of NHT SuperZero and SuperCenter.   Have you ever heard the SuperOne's?  Just wondering how they would compare to a pair of hot-rod Pioneers.  I also have another outstanding project....my Advent NLA crossover upgrade...new Sonicaps, 12 gauge air core foil inductors, cabinet tweeks, etc.  Biggest limiting factor is a wife that can't stand this hobby. Gotta tiptoe around ever wavering female hormones  :(

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 11:33:03 PM »
I have not heard the SuperOne's, but I do have a pair of modified SB3's, which I enjoy very much. I haven't made a direct comparison because a rear ported speaker such as the Pioneer will not work in the location where I use the NHT's.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 02:37:12 AM »
An update.....

What a difference a great speaker stand makes. Having searched everywhere, everyday for a pair of Sanus UF30 stands I had given up. So, the day I was going to place my order for the Liedtke-Metalldesign stands from Germany I took one last look and damn, a pair on Craigslist shows up in Seattle. I quickly made arrangements for them to be picked up and shipped to me by a great guy named Jeff at Club Polk......thank you!!!

Let me tell you, going from the 5 lb. wooden Sanus NF stands with the  tweeters at 37.5" to the UF30's with the tweeters at 40" and weighing in at 18 lbs. empty was one of those wow moments. Simply put, mo'better sound! I will be mass loading the stands with a combo of lead shot and sand, which will add about 35 lbs. to each stand and may just improve the sound a tad more, we'll see. I wasn't exactly displeased with these modded Pioneer bookies, but man they just went up a few notches.

The moral of this story, the right stands make all the difference and cheap ones are cheap for a reason.

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2015, 08:44:38 PM »
Perseverance pays off.  I've never seen that brand up close but I see from google they are spiked top/bottom.
Is that how you use them?  I've always preferred spikes on the floor and blue tack for the speaker coupling.
More so for safety sake. The blue tack really clamps the speaker to the stand...won't slip off if bumped....and they perform as one mechanical assembly.

Spikes....geeez,  I remember when the Mod Squad first brought spikes into the mainstream. The mechanical diode.
I still want to build a pair....anybody wanna buy a set of classic NHT super zeros, super ones and a super center.
Piano finish,  glossy black.  Excellent condition!!

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2015, 09:49:30 PM »
Very nice Jesse!

I am familiar with the Sanus stands.  Did you use Blue Tack as ataudio noted or another method to anchor the speakers to the stands?  Thanks for your post.
Carl

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2015, 01:06:25 PM »
They have an option to use spikes on the top plate, but another to use rubber pads. I used the rubber pads to decouple the speakers.