Author Topic: Nice DVD collection for the price  (Read 5472 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Nice DVD collection for the price
« on: May 28, 2015, 03:42:50 PM »

bmwr75

Re: Nice DVD collection for the price
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 07:43:19 PM »
Pepe,

Just noticed you have the Emotiva XSP-1 preamp.  Is this a new addition?  How do you like it?

Scott

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 08:26:48 PM »
Pepe,

Just noticed you have the Emotiva XSP-1 preamp.  Is this a new addition?  How do you like it?

Scott

The Emotiva is a great pre.  My points of comparison are the Carver C19,  the Melos, and a Parasound Halo P5 I bought at the same time for comparison.    I have no complaints.  Very quiet,  excellent built-in phono section for MC and MM (I sold my Jolida JD-9 after deciding the Emotiva's phono pre was as good) and is a solidly built unit (like most Emotivas the remote can be used as a blunt force weapon). It also has a decent tape loop,  which of course is huge to me.    I like the fact that I can use my sub for music and HT as the Emotiva has  an HT bypass feature.

The XSP-1 soundly beat the Parasound Halo P5 in most respects (to my ears and for Jim P,  who dropped by while I was testing both and quickly said "don't bother with the Parasound").  The Melos had that signature tube "tone",  but was 1000 times noisier than the Emotiva and did not resolve as much (can say the same about the C19,  sans the "tube tone" comment).  So... say what you will about Emotiva being a "generic audiophile" brand,  but this thing sounds great to me.  And that remote is a blessing.   Not going back to a pre w/o remote any time soon.   I can keep writing but don't want to bore the forum with my rants on the XSP-1.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 08:37:27 PM by OldiesButGoodies »

bmwr75

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 08:31:59 PM »
I'm running a Carver C-4000 pre in my shop system now, but am missing a remote control since CDs are mastered at wildly different volume levels these days.  Will probably try the Emotiva USP-1 sitting on the shelf next since it does have a remote.

bearjew

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 12:52:15 PM »
Pepe,

Scott

The Emotiva is a great pre.  My points of comparison are the Carver C19,  the Melos, and a Parasound Halo P5 I bought at the same time for comparison.    I have no complaints.  Very quiet,  excellent built-in phono section for MC and MM (I sold my Jolida JD-9 after deciding the Emotiva's phono pre was as good) and is a solidly built unit (like most Emotivas the remote can be used as a blunt force weapon). It also has a decent tape loop,  which of course is huge to me.    I like the fact that I can use my sub for music and HT as the Emotiva has  an HT bypass feature.

The XSP-1 soundly beat the Parasound Halo P5 in most respects (to my ears and for Jim P,  who dropped by while I was testing both and quickly said "don't bother with the Parasound").  The Melos had that signature tube "tone",  but was 1000 times noisier than the Emotiva and did not resolve as much (can say the same about the C19,  sans the "tube tone" comment).  So... say what you will about Emotiva being a "generic audiophile" brand,  but this thing sounds great to me.  And that remote is a blessing.   Not going back to a pre w/o remote any time soon.   I can keep writing but don't want to bore the forum with my rants on the XSP-1.

Actually, I'd like to see you talk about it a little bit more.  Thinking about getting one down the line.  Not a lot of options out there for a modern pre that isn't like 10 grand or more.