Author Topic: Surgery done, recovery update  (Read 6705 times)

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
Surgery done, recovery update
« on: March 25, 2015, 11:59:24 PM »
To all of you that have called or sent messages/emails to check up on my post surgery progress I thank you. I keep wanting to post an update here but just have done very little on forums. Recovery has been very difficult and I haven't felt well enough to do much. My two surgeons did tell my wife and I that recovery would be very long & painful. They sure weren't kidding. The surgery was Feb 26th and I'm still very limited in movement. The surgery was very invasive, more so than the doctors were hoping. They had to go all the way into the abdominal cavity and do a lot off repair work. They removed a lot of infected and inflamed tissue filled with fluid. There were also some large pockets of infected fluids. Three feet of my small intestine were removed, some hernias were repaired and the whole abdominal wall had to be rebuilt. My old scar was completely cut out and reattached. The old scar was real bad after being opened four times. That's where all the drainage was coming from. I went from about a 12" long scar to 15".  It was held together by 54 staples. That's a shit load of staples. Unfortunately once I've recovered I have to go through another lengthy, miserable chemo treatment. At least I'm still here. Music really helps me get through the days. As my movement is very limited most of my listening is from TIDAL (laptop next to my recliner with power lift mechanism), FM HD radio, and my CD jukebox.  Since my wife is with me all the time I do use headphones a lot. I love my Sennheiser HD650 but they are open design and don't tune out ambient sounds (tv, wife) well.  I sure wish I had a pair similar that is a closed design that also has cloth/velour earpads. Looks like Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 ohm might do the trick but can't really justify the expense as copays start to pour in from the surgery. Medicare really sucks!
Sorry I rambled so long but that's pretty much where things are right now
Brad (pbj)

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
Re: Surgery done, recovery update
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 07:38:00 AM »
Hope you are feeling better soon Papa.  :)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 08:44:42 AM »
Thanks for the update... been wondering how you're doing... You are very blessed to have such a good life partner/ wife.  Keep in touch / letting us know how you are doing and when you are ready for visitors
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

bearjew

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 08:59:06 AM »
You are very blessed to have such a good life partner/ wife.

And son  >:D

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 09:05:39 AM »
and son lol.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 10:00:17 AM »
Brad, glad one part of the journey is done...  Hope and pray recovery continues to go well...  Thanks for the update...

George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 10:07:02 AM »
Dang, PBJ I hope you have a speedy recovery.
Tinpan

If you can read this message, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a veteran

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 10:24:46 AM »
That sounds really, REALLY difficult.   I'm sorry you have to go through it.   Best wishes for speedy recovery.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 01:57:16 PM »
PBJ,

Thanks for the update.   Hope you continue recovering and feeling stronger every day.
We are all pulling for you.

Mike
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 02:57:16 PM »
Sounds like a bear of an ordeal, hope you're up and dancing again soon.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 06:21:59 PM »
PBJ-You have been through more than one deserves.  May your improving health leave you feeling better than new.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 07:19:56 PM »
Greetings Brad!

You sounded pretty good and up beat on the phone last week.  I am confident that you will continue to recover.  I will continue to pray for you and your family.

Carl

Offline treos33

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 09:02:06 AM »
Wow, having had my appendix out a few months ago with a 3" incision in my abdominal wall, I can't imagine how painful it would be to recover from a 15" incision! I'm glad music is able to help but I hope your recovery is as quick as possible!

I have a set of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 ohm. They are my default work cans but I have a few other options so you would be welcome to borrow them if you'd like! PM me if you're interested, I can drop them off this weekend or arrange something with BJ.

-Dan

Desk:
ObjectiveDAC, Technics SL-1500 w/ Grado Black Cart -> NAD 1000 pre -> Emotiva Airmotiv 4
Bedroom:
Creek 4330R -> DefTech StudioMonitor 450
Home Theater:
Onkyo TX-NR809, Rotel RB-981 -> Boston Acoustics VR-40, VR-12 Center, Soundware surrounds, Velodyne VRP-1200

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 09:18:48 AM »
I've never used Beyer cans but their ribbon mics are amazing.   That is a very kind offer.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 11:14:42 AM »
Wow, having had my appendix out a few months ago with a 3" incision in my abdominal wall, I can't imagine how painful it would be to recover from a 15" incision! I'm glad music is able to help but I hope your recovery is as quick as possible!

I have a set of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 ohm. They are my default work cans but I have a few other options so you would be welcome to borrow them if you'd like! PM me if you're interested, I can drop them off this weekend or arrange something with BJ.

-Dan

PM sent. Thx