Author Topic: Speaker wire. All the same?  (Read 12775 times)

bmwr75

Re: Speaker wire. All the same?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 09:23:36 PM »
I have no idea how much difference speaker wire makes in how good or bad a system can sound.

What I do know is there are lots of other things to try first to improve the fidelity of your system......like speaker placement in your room, sitting in the sweet spot, getting rid of clutter that interferes with imaging, buying well recorded music, setting up your turntable right, using a DAC that is a good bang for the buck........and the list goes on.

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 10:15:15 PM »
I think Scott (bmwr75) makes a great point.  There are other factors that I would start with before focusing
on just the speaker cables. But...if you need speaker cable due to system changes, rearrangements, longer runs, etc I would start with good quality, well engineered cable. Nothing too exotic until you address other (and often free) limiting factors.  If you feel you've addressed all the other issues and you feel the speaker cables are your last  hurdle then look for the higher end cables.  My system right now is in a less than desirable setup. My diy speaker cable is good enough....for now.  I've had more improvements with interconnect cables (again, diy) over speaker cables. But a well engineered, good quality cable is the place to start.  Check with Ryan.  I think he runs River Current cables.  Maybe he can help you out.  You'll see the River Current logo at the bottom of the werb page.

Offline Bathory

• FNG !!!
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 07:16:36 AM »
Hahahaha. Wow, this went in directions i did not think possible :))

Just wanted  to know if i can use car speaker wire / if it was basically the same as home audio speaker wire.  I think as long as its ofc copper and is stranded i am ok.
Im not going to go out and spend 2000 on 6 feet when its available for 80 cents a foot.
  Its for a short run from sunfire signature to a pair of BIC DV-64 speakers. Maybe a 4-5 foot run to each speaker.  I will just buy some regular 8 -10 gauge speaker wire.
Thank you for all your. .....cough....help :) :)

bmwr75

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 08:22:20 AM »
Yee ask and yee shall receive.   :laugh:

Offline treos33

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 08:45:35 AM »
  Its for a short run from sunfire signature to a pair of BIC DV-64 speakers.

You're running a $3000 amp with $300 worth of speakers?
Desk:
ObjectiveDAC, Technics SL-1500 w/ Grado Black Cart -> NAD 1000 pre -> Emotiva Airmotiv 4
Bedroom:
Creek 4330R -> DefTech StudioMonitor 450
Home Theater:
Onkyo TX-NR809, Rotel RB-981 -> Boston Acoustics VR-40, VR-12 Center, Soundware surrounds, Velodyne VRP-1200

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 10:37:21 AM »
not to stir the pot... but at a minimum I'd suggest that you make sure the wire is low oxygen copper and I'd run 10 gauge or less. I prefer to run two wires (bi-wire); each with different stranding counts. gauge doesn't seem to matter as long as they are both 14 or lower. Cost is so low, you can play with different combinations to see if you hear a difference. DO NOT use any type of silver colored wire... lots of zip wire has one side coated with tin or some other metal to differentiate the two sides. Don't use it anywhere EVER in your system.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline AdamG

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 10:38:34 AM »
  Its for a short run from sunfire signature to a pair of BIC DV-64 speakers.

You're running a $3000 amp with $300 worth of speakers?

Lol, $260 on amazon for a pair. Free 2-day shipping with prime too!

Offline Bathory

• FNG !!!
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2015, 01:32:37 PM »
I have tried numerous brands. These sound better than my others. I have sold many pairs over the years. But these 300 dollar speakers sound freaking amazing.
I had the x overs modded by ed frias. They are without a doubt the best speakers ive heard in 20 years.  Price means nothing. Isnt it supposed to be " if it sounds good to me "
  I also still use my cerwin vega d-9's with rebuilt crossovers with silver wire. All mids sealed. New woofers with 139 oz. magnet structures. They are too loud , knocks stuff off windows, mantle, shakes things from table to floor. With those emotiva 1000w mono's. They are now hooked up to dv-84's. Sound great !!  The break in is long. Months. Woofers really need softening and tweeter needed pink noise disc for about 2 weeks.

Poke fun, thats fine. They sound amazing !

Previous brand:
B&w
Altec lansing
Polk
Bic
And others.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2015, 03:00:55 PM »
I'm still not getting into the wire topic, but I will say that I had a pair of small BIC Venturis that were the best small bookshelf speaker I've ever heard.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2015, 04:10:14 PM »
Had pair of BIC, first real speakers Soph year in college along with Marantz receiver and Phillips 212, not sure if they were Ventura or not... but I kept blowing tweeters and having to pay for a second and third seat in a ride share car to get them home to the dealer. After the second time, and I made him pay for the extra seats. That summer  I bought a pair of JBL100... never a problem with those bad boys   :-)
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Dicky

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2015, 04:25:36 PM »
Did you ever finish your L100's STaL?

bmwr75

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2015, 05:00:00 PM »
@Bathory - if the BICs sound good to you that is what counts.  Ignore the rest of these assholes.

Offline Bathory

• FNG !!!
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2015, 05:14:02 PM »
@Bathory - if the BICs sound good to you that is what counts.  Ignore the rest of these assholes.

Thank you !!!!

Your  name reminds me of a song by Saxon............ cheers

Thank you, all of you, for your help

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2015, 05:56:37 PM »
Did you ever finish your L100's STaL?

No.   I have to do all refinishing out doors, so that hasn't happened yet.   I also still need to order some inductors for the x-over mod.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2015, 05:57:57 PM »

My post was serious.   They really were the best sounding bookshelves I ever had.   They blew away JBLs, Advents, Polks and Infinitys of the same size.