Author Topic: sunfire sig loose transformer  (Read 6702 times)

Offline Bathory

• FNG !!!
sunfire sig loose transformer
« on: May 17, 2015, 02:30:27 PM »
transformer in in loose, the 4 screws which hold it in place don't seem to want to tighten???  transformer moves about minimum 1/4 - 1/2 inch when I move the amp around.
don't tell me " don't move it" it shouldn't  be this way anyway !
any recommendations??????   i just received it from a west coast repair place, and i am thinking  maybe it was dropped by fed ex, or thrown about by them????
i don't know, a lot of money for us, and would hate to have this be an issue?

don't know how to check the brackets to see if all the screws are connected, which they are clearly not.

sorry for the no punctuation, happens when Im angry.   best to you all

R & J

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
Re: sunfire sig loose transformer
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 04:18:12 PM »
I strongly urge you to contact the shop that repaired it. Was it well protected from shipping impacts...bubble wrap etc.
I had to bite my tongue not to say "don't move it" 

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 05:00:45 PM »
Do the brackets look bent or distorted? Wouldn't take much of a drop if it's a heavy transformer. Other possibility - did they remove the transformer? If so maybe they used the wrong fasteners when they reinstalled it?
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline Bathory

• FNG !!!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 06:41:39 PM »
it was at the best place.
he said this is normal for an amp of this age to have the transformer move a little, or wobble???

i still question this....

NOTHING should move. mentioned transformer is on rubber grommets, and after time they weaken, etc etc...  sounds like bs to me, but who am I, but a pauper

i have never had anything which was or should move around, this to me is broken, or poor craftsmanship

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 08:53:23 PM »
It's possible the rubber grommets have become brittle with age and may have crumbled, creating the looseness you describe.  Howe old is the amp?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 09:08:33 PM »
It's possible the rubber grommets have become brittle with age and may have crumbled, creating the looseness you describe.  Howe old is the amp?

Hard to judge w/o looking at the unit,  but I would recommend you not be mad at the vintage repair shop you used. This is common with equipment this old containing heavy components (another example is speakers with huge magnets).  The transformer is very heavy and that, in combination with old bushings,  is going to lead to what you have - they did nothing really wrong:  just shipped it back using the available methods.  No matter how many "Fragile" labels you put outside, all these boxes  get tossed about pretty frequently during during shipment,  and the transformer being as heavy as it is,  will challenge the integrity of 30 year old bushings keeping it mechanically isolated from the chassis.

Options for the vintage shop include replacing the bushings of every piece they get (assuming they can find the right size),  or wedging especial foam pieces around the transformer to help it absorb energy during the return trip. Either way,  it increases cost for those getting things repaired and is not directly connected to what you sent the unit in for,  just a side effect of shipping. So either way the repair shop is in a bad place.  If it protects the transformer it gets accused of being too expensive (and no one wants to pay what it costs to fix these things - it takes time to go through them and time costs money). If it doesn't take special measures to protect the transformer from its own mass, and the shipper handles the box roughly, you get what you have. 

So rant aside - replacing those bushings should be easy (a trip to Ace Hardware should do it).

OBG
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 09:13:53 PM by OldiesButGoodies »

Offline Bathory

• FNG !!!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 05:47:20 AM »
not at all mad, nor disappointed with the shop, actually, I am very pleased with the shop and everything about it.

The amp if i read correctly, was made Oct of 1996, so it IS old as electronics go,  but changing grommets, I am not sure. If I remove the bottom screws I will not get them back in, as the transformer has 2 covers on it. it is the square transformer, fitted with a 2nd round metal one, if your familiar with the signature sunfoire, then you KNOIW what I am talking about.
  the screws are welded or soldered at the tops, so when I try to screw them in from the bottom, the whole screw/nut just turns, not tightening. i don't know how to get these tight without possible causing me an added shop price, or possible worse.
m,aybe just leave it alone?   but it drives me nuts, knowing it IS like this, and it should not.   
  damnet !

Offline Bathory

• FNG !!!
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 05:55:44 AM »
there is a amp repair shop close to me, I will see if they can do anything, if not.........well then, its more bad luck, as it seems that is ALL i have had since beginning this catastrophic audio journey 27 years ago. nothing but unreliable, crap since i started.
and I have had some damn good name brand pieces, and NO, not modern day fisher, or shite like that. good stuff, acurus, rotel, b&w, onkyo, altec lansing, and many others. when it comes to anything, everything has broken, such is my luck.
 welcome to my hell.  cheers

Offline Bathory

• FNG !!!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 02:39:50 PM »
Maybe just wedge some material under it to keep it from moving

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 05:14:35 PM »
Wow, you need to take a relaxative. Stuff from '96 really isn't that old if it was good to start with and handled with care. I have one of Bob Carver's first creations, a Phase Linear 400 amp from 1972.  It sounds great. It's had a required recap due to its age but that's to be expected. Some of the most prized audio is vintage from 60s 70s and 80s and beyond...

Offline Bathory

• FNG !!!
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 05:47:23 PM »
Wow, you need to take a relaxative. Stuff from '96 really isn't that old if it was good to start with and handled with care. I have one of Bob Carver's first creations, a Phase Linear 400 amp from 1972.  It sounds great. It's had a required recap due to its age but that's to be expected. Some of the most prized audio is vintage from 60s 70s and 80s and beyond...

The amp is in great cond.   this must have happened during shipping. I see no other explanation for this. the transformer is ver very loose, this should NOT be this loose.
if i knew how to fix it i would.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 06:40:43 PM »

The amp is in great cond.   this must have happened during shipping. I see no other explanation for this. the transformer is ver very loose, this should NOT be this loose.
if i knew how to fix it i would.
   If it worries you that much silicon it to the chassis and be done with it!
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 10:50:35 PM »
NO......do NOT silicone it. Nasty stuff, very acidic when curing, which will likely cause problems down the road. Not to mention silicone creeps causing contamination issues.

If you can't properly secure it yourself, take it to a shop that can as you do not want a loose tranny.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline AdamG

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 11:31:32 AM »
NO......do NOT silicone it. Nasty stuff, very acidic when curing, which will likely cause problems down the road. Not to mention silicone creeps causing contamination issues.

If you can't properly secure it yourself, take it to a shop that can as you do not want a loose tranny.

Bad things happen when a tranny is on the loose.

Offline Bathory

• FNG !!!
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 01:11:10 PM »
Talked to bob carvers tech for sunfire. The L brackets and grommits are no longer available. (((((

Driving the amp to rockford illinois to sounds classic. Hopefully they can secure the transformer.