Author Topic: Fosgate Signature Phono preamp  (Read 11067 times)

Offline Magnaryder

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Ray Campbell, Rush chairman, damn glad to meet you
Re: Fosgate Signature Phono preamp
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 10:11:17 PM »
During CarverFest I had no digital front end in my EAR/Fosgate rig. I spent the 14 days running the Ariston/Linn/Grado combo, although it wasn't without issue. I seem to need a rumble filter to combat woofer flap, or better system isolation and once Bob sorted out my phase problem....the rig sounded great! I had a speaker wired incorrectly and hadn't taken the time to sort out the problem. I knew it sounded wrong but couldn't put my finger on the fix. :rolleyes:

George Daniel gave me 'the holy grail' of 6X4s to install in my Fosgate Signature phono and we gave it a whirl breaking open a couple of Beatles LPs I bought in the early '80s, nothing like virgin vinyl to give perspective to a listening session.

We listened to 'Revolver', I still can't get past how quiet this rig is and how much I like the V20/Fosgate duo. The new 6X4 made an already black hole like background seemingly quieter. I still have issue with the mixing on the early Beatles' LPs. Many times the vocals are all on one side and the instrumentals on the other making me feel like the rig is out of phase....again :rolleyes:

We played several Carly Simon LPs, an unopened 'Beatles for Sale' Kingdom Come's self-titled LP, some Mahogany Rush and StarCastle's 'Citadel'

I placed the K&K SUT back in the rig to get a bit more gain and it worked really well. The K&K belongs to Dan(Chauss). He was kind enough to loan it to me while I got my vinylphile ducks in a row. Bob spent some time listening to my rig one evening at the 'Fest and suggested instead of a new cart I buy an SUT giving me a bit more flexibility when choosing a new cart and allowing me time to run this cart while I take care selecting a new one, if I really find the need.

Bob read through the literature I brought along for the EARV20 and the Fosgate Signature. He seemed quite surprised at the techniques employed in the V20 surrounding the use of 12AX7s as power tubes.

George suggested a Cinemag CM-QEE-3440 SUT and I trust his ears. So Cinemag it is.

I'll keep y'all posted.

ray
Magnaryder-EAR Yoshino V20 Integrated amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Rega P3TT,SME 3009 arm, Grado Statement Master1 cart, 2018 CarverFest 275 Amplifiers, CarverFest 2011 EL84 amplifiers Nos 50/51 Stax Earspeakers, Spatial Audio M3 OB loudspeakers and the Carver Research DarkStar sub.

Offline Magnaryder

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Ray Campbell, Rush chairman, damn glad to meet you
Re: Fosgate Signature Phono preamp
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2015, 10:12:11 PM »
I installed a set of PSvane valves throughout the Fosgate Signature pre. Damn, they look really good and I'll sit down after they get a few hours on them and let y'all know what I think.

ray
Magnaryder-EAR Yoshino V20 Integrated amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Rega P3TT,SME 3009 arm, Grado Statement Master1 cart, 2018 CarverFest 275 Amplifiers, CarverFest 2011 EL84 amplifiers Nos 50/51 Stax Earspeakers, Spatial Audio M3 OB loudspeakers and the Carver Research DarkStar sub.