Author Topic: Pittsburgh Record Fest  (Read 10481 times)

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
Re: Pittsburgh Record Fest
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 09:18:58 PM »
thanks for the dead wax codes, very much appreciated.

When looking for albums, the first thing I look for is any indications of sharp lines... which means a scratch or at least a sharp strike or rub of some kind. After that I look for a consistent color/ shine excluding scuffs from sticking it into the sleeve etc. Between the two I can usually get about +90% to 95% primary system play, which means NO scratches and few ticks / pops... the rest go to the garage for the Technics 1200 to play with lol  I do get fooled occasionally though by a "dead" album that's been over played or just a plain bad pressing. And I always clean albums before I play them... once or twice through the Spin Clean /distilled water spray  rinse and rolled aggressively with the "In the Groove".
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 11:08:58 PM »
Lots of RL IVs.   It is RL IIs that are scarce.

This was in one of two boxes of records a friend gave me, his aunt and uncle got a divorce and she hid the records in his basement. Sat for about 5 yrs and they found their way to me. This wasn't even the best of the lot...a minty promo of Black Sabbath's debut was also in there.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2015, 11:23:59 PM »
Was the Sabbath WB or Vertigo?   I just got a clean green label WB, Artisan pressing from Carl at the swap.   I haven't listened yet.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2015, 11:49:53 PM »
The Sabbath is a white label WB. Stamped promotional only not for sale.

The LZ, I never figured out. The label has ST-A-691671 CP on side 1. ST-A-691672 CP on side two. Dead wax has the same with nothing after those strings. RL and very tiny SS on both sides. There may be a 3 on side one in the deadwax but it's very hard to see. Regardless it's not likely ever going to be sold.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 06:27:13 AM »
Can you post a pic of the Sabbath promo? What songs are on it?
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 08:22:07 AM »
still find it weird not looking at vinyl condition..... lol Of the albums these people were buying, there weren't that many that were exclusive to one dealer there.    To me, I'd rather have a clean, quiet copy otherwise I move to digital for that album. To me it defeats the "advantages" of vinyl when the sound/ music are polluted with noise, ticks and pops... And I think I miss the artists intent when I'm distracted by ticks and pops. Of course that's other than Motown, which seemed to all be engineered to sound good only on an AM car radio.

I'm always on the hunt for clean copies or none at all.... Heck it took me four tries to get a good copy of Janis Joplin's Pearl and three copies of the Stones Beggars Banquet and Marvin Gaye's "whats going on" I guess I'm not a collector at all, but rather a "listener". Can't imagine ever selling an album...
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2015, 10:24:13 AM »
Can you post a pic of the Sabbath promo? What songs are on it?

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2015, 12:04:43 PM »
Thanks! I was hoping some songs not on first album. Still love to have it!
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2015, 02:48:47 PM »
The desirability of WLPs comes from them being the first copies stamped from the approved stamper.   I've never met a WLP I didn't like!

Offline vstarkwell

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Bass!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2015, 06:02:05 PM »

Ian - the live Take Five by Brubeck was great!  A bit worn out but still very good!

Cool!!!

Offline vstarkwell

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Bass!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2015, 06:06:54 PM »
still find it weird not looking at vinyl condition..... lol Of the albums these people were buying, there weren't that many that were exclusive to one dealer there.    To me, I'd rather have a clean, quiet copy otherwise I move to digital for that album. To me it defeats the "advantages" of vinyl when the sound/ music are polluted with noise, ticks and pops... And I think I miss the artists intent when I'm distracted by ticks and pops. Of course that's other than Motown, which seemed to all be engineered to sound good only on an AM car radio.

I'm always on the hunt for clean copies or none at all.... Heck it took me four tries to get a good copy of Janis Joplin's Pearl and three copies of the Stones Beggars Banquet and Marvin Gaye's "whats going on" I guess I'm not a collector at all, but rather a "listener". Can't imagine ever selling an album...

Jim,

I twas nice meeting you the other night at the fest, my take on the fest is if one is a serious collector looking for the mint vinyl you might run into a handful of folks there who have the goods. Mostly I think it's a generational thing with a lot of people getting back into vinyl and not really paying attention to quality. I would also say they need better lighting in there for people to examine the vinyl.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2015, 08:21:49 AM »
lol  heck, the lighting was at least as good as Jerry's Records lol

Interesting phenomenon with the "new to vinyl" folks buying the way the do...  They are driving up prices and clearing out basements, but think that long term someone needs to get these folks to actually listen to a good system and hear how it's suppose to sound lol 

The crash will be big and sudden when it happens... love that Pepsi Blast commercial with the  hipster saying "but vinyl sounds so much warmer"

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2015, 09:26:16 AM »
I wonder how many of the hipsters are playing these records on record grinding Crosleys. Once they get bored and turn those records back into the wild it could be a nightmare for listeners/collectors.