Author Topic: VPI 16.5  (Read 5683 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
VPI 16.5
« on: June 28, 2015, 03:02:49 PM »
On our recent trip through Asheville we stopped at a record store and I bought some used vinyl. I was amazed at the condition of the records, the looked brand new. I asked how they cleaned their stock, "we have a VPI 16.5."  Then I ordered a few albums from a discos seller for me and a buddy, all of them were described as "cleaned on a VPI". Again, amazing condition. No cracks, pops, sizzles.

I built my own RCM after borrowing my buddy's Nitty Gritty 1.0. Both of these do ok, but compared to the VPI it's a wide margin. I was talking about this struggle to get my records cleaner like those VPI cleaned records and my wife said I should really consider buying one. Woah, woah, woah...hit the brakes, WHAT? This is some type of trap. However, she did just get herself a Bosch dishwasher, so maybe there's no trap. She even started looking for them on the net and found people offering cleaning services. She said, "why don't you get one and offer to clean records to offset the cost of the machine." Not a half bad idea woman.

Anyone have first hand experience with one of these machines?

Not fishing for orders or anything, I just have no clue if there's a demand...but would any of you pay to have your records cleaned? Not sure I would, I like to do things myself. Shipping my records to and then having them shipped back seems to add a level of risk of something getting damaged.

Curious to hear any thoughts.

bearjew

Re: VPI 16.5
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 04:33:13 PM »
VPI pretty much owns the market on cleaning machines.  They're supposed to be top-notch.  However, I can guarantee you that the deal is too good to be true, because your wife will say that the dishwasher was for both of you, not just her, so she gets something else.  Good luck ;)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 04:44:41 PM »
I've often thought that Jerry or The Attic should do that, but making a special trip to clean or having to ship records to have them cleaned is too much inconvenience for me.   I would pay and extra buck for a cleaning and new sleeve at the point of purchase though.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 04:48:25 PM »
The Okki Nokki is supposed to be just as good (I haven't used it).

http://www.okkinokkiusa.com/collections/okki-nokki-collection

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 06:49:03 PM »
I have a VPI 16.5 and love it!  It does a great job cleaning records and I've had one for about seven years.  Very durable, never had an issue.  I would buy one tomorrow if mine broke.  If you have a lot of vinyl that you play regularly the 'vpi is the way to go.

However, I wish those ultrasonic machines would start to come down in price.
Carl

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 08:48:42 PM »
Carl - the VPI 16.5 in my to-buy list as well. 

bmwr75

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 08:54:53 PM »
I have a 16.5.  Results using it have been mixed for me.  Maybe I am not vigorous enough in using it and scrubbing.  It definitely cleans up dirty looking records, but snap/crackle/pops are still pretty bad after cleaning some vinyl, even when the record looks good.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 09:07:34 PM »
VPI pretty much owns the market on cleaning machines.  They're supposed to be top-notch.  However, I can guarantee you that the deal is too good to be true, because your wife will say that the dishwasher was for both of you, not just her, so she gets something else.  Good luck ;)

If I have to use the dishwasher, SHE has to clean my records.  >:D

I've often thought that Jerry or The Attic should do that, but making a special trip to clean or having to ship records to have them cleaned is too much inconvenience for me.   I would pay and extra buck for a cleaning and new sleeve at the point of purchase though.

Next time you're at Jerry's ask him for the record cleaning guide he has, sort of scary what they do.

The Okki Nokki is supposed to be just as good (I haven't used it).

http://www.okkinokkiusa.com/collections/okki-nokki-collection

I've heard of them, but haven't looked into them. I'll read up.

I have a VPI 16.5 and love it!  It does a great job cleaning records and I've had one for about seven years.  Very durable, never had an issue.  I would buy one tomorrow if mine broke.  If you have a lot of vinyl that you play regularly the 'vpi is the way to go.

I've been hard pressed to find negative reviews. Encouraging to hear if yours broke you'd replace it. I do think ultrasonic is the way to go, but like you said they are pricey.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 10:12:38 PM »

Dibs on your VPI when you get the ultrasonic!

Offline BrianT

• F'n Brit Asshole!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 05:29:28 PM »
I have a VPI 16.5 had it for about 5 years, the only problem I have had is the suction nozzles break not expensive, $30.00 to replace.
I would purchase a replacement one if I had to.

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2SI integrated amp
Takatsuki 300B tubes
2 x Carver 275 Mono Block
Audience Front Row Bi wire Speaker Cables
Audience Front Row USB Cable
Audience Front Row RCA Cables
VPI Classic TurnTable (blk)
c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Auralic G2 server
B&W 803D3 (black)

bmwr75

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 06:36:30 PM »
Broke my first nozzle.....then learned it need to be removed from its hole when not in use and the plexi glass lid is closed.  Haven't broke another one since.

bmwr75

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 06:37:13 PM »
Duplicate post deleted.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 06:44:57 PM by bmwr75 »

bmwr75

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 06:39:12 PM »
triple post deleted
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 06:43:06 PM by bmwr75 »

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 09:37:40 PM »
The okki nokki intrigues me as it goes backwards as well. When I use my diy cleaner I go a few turns each way.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 05:10:41 PM »
However, I can guarantee you that the deal is too good to be true, because your wife will say that the dishwasher was for both of you, not just her, so she gets something else.  Good luck ;)

Jagoff, I blame you! Ha, just kidding. The VPI idea is dead. She backtracked on her original backing of the idea. Or is it she thought I was I was starting a business with advertising and all that to fund the cost of the machine? With way, it's dead.

I had found an Okki Nokki on Amazon WITH a dust cover for only $499 new. It was the last one, she told me to sleep on it. Three hours later it was long gone.

So like anyone else I went to the drawing board and regrouped. My current RCM works, but has a few flaws I haven't been able to work out. When I set out to build it, it was a next to $0 budget. I think I spent maybe $5 on some plumbing parts, the rest was just stuff lying around. The biggest issue I have with it is the vacuum wand. It doesn't sit parallel to the platter, it needs held down a bit to lay flat on records. The wand is covered with a paint pad along the opening, satisfactory but not high quality. I found a solution for it, the VPI 16 to 16.5 upgrade kit. This should solve both of those issues.

The machine will continue to be manual, but I'm going to be on the lookout for a high torque/low speed motor. Like those in bread makers/mixers/ice cream machines. Again, this is going to be on the cheap. I'll need to engineer (and I use that term loosely) the motor to accommodate a spindle.

Speaking of the spindle, currently I use a hockey puck to spin the record. I'd like to have something more clamp like, but those are a bit pricey. Most RCMs use a screw down clamp, since I'm use a normal TT spindle that won't work.