Author Topic: Any news from the shop?  (Read 8112 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Any news from the shop?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 05:09:12 PM »

Me,  I still believe the shop will come back to life soon and that the first priority will be to take care of the repair backlog. 

I hope so.   This whole issue is very hard for me to comment on because I have nothing but appreciation and respect for Tom, but I also more than understand the concerns of his customers.

When I first got married our finances were a terrible mess for many reasons that I won't get into here.   An eviction is part of what brought me back to PA from Boston.   When my car was repo'd, a good friend told me I could have his second car for $500 (this was 25 years ago), and I could pay him when I was able.   Well, I had every intention of paying him, but of course in that position the line of people wanting money from you is long.   As a few weeks turned into a few months, I started avoiding my friend because I felt so guilty.   Months turned into years and I thought the whole incident (and my relationship with this person) were ancient history.   

Then one day I got a letter from him.   He apologized to me for not understanding how desperate my situation was and letting a few bucks come between us.   I was floored.   The whole thing was completely my fault and he was expressing sorrow to me for the loss of our relationship.   I was a gigging musician at the time and had two basses.   I immediately sold one and sent him back the $500, along with a letter telling him how grateful I was for the overwhelming grace he had extended me.

Our friendship (though states apart) is as strong now as it has ever been.   I guess my point in this is that I understand how "in the hole" Tom must feel and I also understand the impulse to want to avoid all of this unpleasantness.   I don't condone it, but I do understand it.   People are more important than stuff and I believe this will all work out when and how it's supposed to.

Offline Resident

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 06:03:11 PM »
"Then one day I got a letter from him.   He apologized to me for not understanding how desperate my situation was and letting a few bucks come between us."

What you have there if I may say is a true friend. 

I have a lot of people I know, but I only have 3 friends. They are just like the person you described, and those you value forever.
Micromega IA-400
Toshiba SD9200 N
Sony PS X75
Mission 775
Jamo D830 Concert 8

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 06:48:00 PM »
Absolutely.   I am forever grateful to him.

bmwr75

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 08:38:28 PM »
Great story Mark.  Thanks for sharing.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 09:00:33 PM »

Me,  I still believe the shop will come back to life soon and that the first priority will be to take care of the repair backlog. 

Our friendship (though states apart) is as strong now as it has ever been.   I guess my point in this is that I understand how "in the hole" Tom must feel and I also understand the impulse to want to avoid all of this unpleasantness.   I don't condone it, but I do understand it.   People are more important than stuff and I believe this will all work out when and how it's supposed to.

Great share - thank you for posting!

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2015, 07:42:14 AM »
Nice poignant story... much appreciated... wife and I have similar and have done our best during the intervening years to do for others as friends have done for us, including Tom. I believe that once the houses are sold he'll be in a better place. Especially tough situation for him with his health problems.

a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...