Author Topic: Dirty power  (Read 3106 times)

Offline non-prophet

• Audio Connoisseur
  • Peace among worlds
Dirty power
« on: July 20, 2015, 11:36:55 AM »
I recently picked up a Monster Power Dr Power power line noise sniffer which is basically a glorified baby monitor with meter, so you can hear the noise/interference in your power lines.  I have real dirty power, I was completely annoyed by this since I have a dedicated power line to my main stereo (which for some f****d up reason is one of the noisiest in my house).  A power conditioner definitely helps, but the noise/interference is still present.  The power conditioner (Chang Lightspeed iso 9600) reduced the noise/interference by 60% in the power, 65% in the analog and 75% in the digital outlets.  It's working but I would like to be in the 90%+ in all those categories.  So, I am working on correcting this fault.  I am thinking about re-running that power line with a heavier gauge wire (14/3 is in there now, plan on 12/3) and insulating it with copper braiding and Techflex to completely shield it.  I also plan on buying a PS Audio, Synergistic Research Tesla or MIT outlet to help the cause.  If anyone has a noise trap, I would like to borrow that too, just to see if it works (Audioprism and MIT both make them).  It's only about a 20' run so I can over do it.  I feel not knowing this was so much better because now I am looking for problems/issues that I didn't know existed.  But, I keep reaching to improve my setup and probably never stop.  This noise/interference has to adversely affect my system/sound and I am hoping the improvements I plan on making are noticeable and worth my effort.  If anyone has any thoughts, opinions or ideas please share.

If anyone would like to borrow the noise sniffer, it will be available shortly after my project is done.  Thank you for looking.  Nick

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261752305265?lpid=82&chn=ps
Duntech PCL-400 (Black Knight), KEF 105/3, Snell Type b
Aloia PST 11.1, Terra Song ss-1, Luxman c-1000, Melos MA333
Llano Phoenix CA-300, White Audio Labs A100, (2) Luxman M4000
McIntosh MA230

OldiesButGoodies

Re: Dirty power
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 03:23:49 PM »

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 06:04:12 PM »
Two peas in a pod, no?  LOL
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Online MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 07:17:47 PM »
 "now I am looking for problems/issues that I didn't know existed."  I am not sure you found a problem, but rather just a simple fact. In my experience, line conditioners are best at elimination RF interference.  If you hear a radio station when playing CDs or LPs, your system needs help.

I run #8 wire to 30 amp dedicated outlets for each amp (2) and separate 20 amp circuits for source components (one for all) and accessories (100 total amps available for the system).  The reason is not to reduce noise, but rather to improve the amps performance by limiting voltage drop.  Amps cannot deliver their rated power at spec when not receiving their required voltage.  So your dilemma may become one of thinking the system is less noisy after installing the dedicated circuits and bigger wire, when in fact it may be due to improved amplifier performance caused by a change in the delivered voltage.

What is the rated amperage draw of your amp(s) at rated power?  I doubled mine to determine the size of the circuit I used, to allow for peaks.  I doubt I reduced the a/c line noise and the system did sound better to me after the change.

I guess this makes me an Audiophile, or at minimum obsessive.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 11:49:34 PM »
Check into one of thos PS Audio "Power Plants".  They definitely work.  I little pricey but I heard what they could do in my friend's system.  Check it out:  http://www.psaudio.com/product-category/power/
Carl