Author Topic: $100 RCM  (Read 18765 times)

Offline Resident

• Double Secret Probation!
Re: $100 RCM
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2015, 10:50:23 AM »
Thanks for the write up.  The seller definitely sounds like someone you would want to deal with.  Not the typical rabble that you find on Ebay.  Nice to know there are still some good sellers out there trying to make things right when they are wrong.

Im going to have to consider this one for sure though.  Seems decent enough and for the price how can you go wrong right.

Glad you are enjoying your purchase
Micromega IA-400
Toshiba SD9200 N
Sony PS X75
Mission 775
Jamo D830 Concert 8

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2015, 11:47:19 AM »

I don't think so, but he does sell wand kits that you can use with your existing table.   I have a Gemini DD with no arm which I have been saving for such a project, but I don't know if that will ever happen.   Turning manually is no big deal for me thus far.

From experience, a DD table will be ok for spreading fluid and light brushing. The motors don't have the torque to overcome the vacuum. I had no issue spinning manually, but like anything else automation spoils us.

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2015, 01:52:58 PM »
Set topic sticky. Great review STaL!

I will most likely move this to the reviews section as well. Need to decide whether I should just move your post or the whole thread.
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2015, 03:35:35 PM »
I forgot we had a reviews section.    :-[

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2015, 11:25:40 PM »
So, when and where is the next "meeting"?   I want to bring this so you can all check it out.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2015, 07:42:59 AM »
planning a party at my house for Saturday October 3rd... mark your calendars, and please plan on bringing it. I'll post a general announcement in the next week or so  Jim
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2015, 12:01:30 PM »
My buddy just got his and is very satisfied.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2015, 07:52:48 AM »
Have had mine for about a week now and have cleaned and recleaned (Spin Clean previously cleaned) over twenty albums with excellent results! The Spin Clean has been retired or at least demoted to precleaning the filthiest of albums before vacuuming. Good Find Mark! and thanks again for bringing it to the party for a demo.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2015, 09:49:28 AM »
You are welcome.   I'm glad you are having a good experience with it.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2016, 04:05:18 PM »
So an interesting thing has happened.   I got the original Mark I version of this cleaner, then the manufacturer (Nick) made some changes (some at my suggestion) and came out with the current Mark III version.   I wrote Nick specifically about the attachments to clean 10" and 7" records.   I wanted to know if they would fit my cleaner and how much it would be to just buy them.   Nick answered that they weren't interchangeable but that since I suggested some of the changes and have done a lot to advertise his product, he wanted to send me the new version free of charge.   That was extremely generous of him and I do think that the changes are well executed and represent a genuine improvement.

So now I have two RCMs, the first of which (though still perfectly functional) I will likely never use again.   I don't want to sell it to someone who would just end up buying one from Nick anyway (undercutting him for a sale after he gave me one for free would just be slimy IMHO).   But I also don't want it to just kick around for no good reason.   So, if you know someone who would really like to have an RCM but genuinely can't afford one, please PM me so we can talk about getting this one into their hands at a significant discount (discount will hopefully be proportional to need/budget of recipient).   Thanks for your help with this, I want to handle it in a way that benefits everyone.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2016, 05:02:44 PM »
great minds.... gave version 1 to Bearjew and version III (which I had to pay $60 for) to Ryan....  since I now have the VPI 16.5

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2016, 05:57:46 PM »
Do you find the VPI to be any more effective or just simpler?

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2016, 09:19:56 AM »
To me, the VPI is better, quicker and simpler to use....   the wand on both SCs pulled too far away from its slot...and drys the fluids before they can be vacuumed IMHO. But it's still much, much better than the Spin Clean.  The VPI only pulls directly below the vacuum slot, not more than a mm or two to the sides....   Also, I can clean 2 -3  albums on the VPI in the time it took me to do one on the SC.   I've recleaned albums from my Spin Clean days on the SC and they improved a lot. Now, I've recleaned albums on the VPI that had been cleaned on the SC and they are definitely quieter. Also, there is soooooo much less clean up and noise with the VPI. It's no longer a major production and I don't have to wait to do batch cleaning....No big deal now to do a couple of albums ... JMHO   Loved the SQ, thanks for turning me onto it.... but getting the new model of the VPI 16.5 used for $350.... it was a no brainer.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2016, 11:26:18 AM »
Jim,

Did you find the VPI locally or on Ebay?   

thx
mike
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2016, 12:32:45 PM »
pure luck, found it on CL here in the Pittsburgh area.