Author Topic: Record Clamp Tip  (Read 2496 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Record Clamp Tip
« on: September 20, 2015, 10:13:55 AM »
My VPI TT has a threaded spindle that accepts a hefty stainless steel clamp. If I don't watch it and apply too much torque while playing a thin pressing,  the clamp pressure can distort the record into a slight "soup-bowl" shape. This in turn can negatively affect the arm-to-record geometry that we spend so much time adjusting,  as I discovered last night while playing a Herb Albert LP. 

I really did not think much about clamp tightening technique before,  so thought I would post this here as a tip.

OBG   

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
Re: Record Clamp Tip
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 05:22:00 PM »
There are some clamps that provide "shims" to place on the mat prior to placing the record on the platter.  These are provided specifically to avoid the phenomena that you observed.  With the shim, you can actually flatten a warped record using the shim/clamp combo.  The shims using come in several thicknesses to accommodate the 180 g and 200 g records that are thicker than the normal 140 - 160 g lp.
Carl

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 09:26:08 PM »
Thanks Carl... Hey - I bought the VPI 16.5 based on your recommendation,  and it was a good one, thanks.  Looking at getting Tergitol eventually to test again the other solutions,  but for the time being using up the supply of stuff I bought already.   ;D

OBG

Anders

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 07:47:14 PM »
I have a 16.5 to replace my 16 but haven't used it much yet.
Don't remember what cleaners I used or know whats good today.
I think I used a First cleaner and Last record preservative.