Author Topic: ADC recommendations  (Read 6157 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
Re: ADC recommendations
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 11:26:41 AM »
Two samples, these are large files 80MB and 150MB. Recorded at 24/96, exported to FLAC using 8/24 (level/depth).

Herbie Hancock - Rock It:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9944244/Rock_It_24_96.flac

Warren Haynes - River's Gonna Rise"
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9944244/Warren_Haynes_RIver.flac

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2016, 03:06:20 PM »
That sounds very good!  Listening from work over a HiFiman EF2a DAC and using the Oppo PM-3 cans.  Very nice digital drop work.

You rock!

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2016, 03:45:57 PM »
That sounds very good!  Listening from work over a HiFiman EF2a DAC and using the Oppo PM-3 cans.  Very nice digital drop work.

You rock!

Thanks. That's your old V15vxmr doing most of the work.

bearjew

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 04:32:49 PM »
They're going to take care of it, but it's just annoying that the one I bought in 2007 worked until a few months ago.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 05:43:30 PM »
Two samples, these are large files 80MB and 150MB. Recorded at 24/96, exported to FLAC using 8/24 (level/depth).

Herbie Hancock - Rock It:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9944244/Rock_It_24_96.flac

Warren Haynes - River's Gonna Rise"
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9944244/Warren_Haynes_RIver.flac

Looks like 24 bit.   Did you use any software to clean it up or are your records just that clean?   I did notice that "Rock It" was a bit hot and went into clipping a couple of times (was that a 12" single? they are often cut hot), but other than that I have no constructive criticism for you.   Very nice.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 06:23:00 PM »
Both were 12s, Rock It was a 33 and Haynes a 45.

Cleaned both records. Recorded both at 24/96, exported them to FLAC and uploaded them. No other adjustments.

I did notice the Rock It hitting the red. Is it better to adjust the gain on the Focusrite or in Audacity? One thing that drives me bananas about digital is varying volumes.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 08:14:29 PM »

Cleaned both records. Recorded both at 24/96, exported them to FLAC and uploaded them. No other adjustments.

I did notice the Rock It hitting the red. Is it better to adjust the gain on the Focusrite or in Audacity? One thing that drives me bananas about digital is varying volumes.

On the Focusrite for sure.   If you adjust it in Audacity, all you are doing is turning down a signal that has already clipped.   If fact, try it and you will see that the top of that peak will be flat instead of having a point.   On the other hand, if you record at less than peak, you are only losing a bit of noise floor, which in the digital realm is like -78 db as opposed to tape days where it was in the 40s.   I record at like -3db then adjust the volume up after.   I try to not hit higher than -0.6 db peak in 24/96, because when you dither to Redbook you add about 1/2 db signal.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2016, 09:21:23 PM »

On the Focusrite for sure.   If you adjust it in Audacity, all you are doing is turning down a signal that has already clipped.   If fact, try it and you will see that the top of that peak will be flat instead of having a point.   On the other hand, if you record at less than peak, you are only losing a bit of noise floor, which in the digital realm is like -78 db as opposed to tape days where it was in the 40s.   I record at like -3db then adjust the volume up after.   I try to not hit higher than -0.6 db peak in 24/96, because when you dither to Redbook you add about 1/2 db signal.

Excellent, thanks! I clearly see a limitation on the Focusrite, or perhaps an annoyance. The inputs have a glowing light around the knob. Turn the knob too far clockwise and it glows orange then red. I kept it in the green. The knobs just have one indicator (a scribed line) on the knob, tough to eyeball them to match up. VThe Kenwood just functions as a pre with no controls. My tube pre does have an adjustable output level. This may be splitting hairs, I wonder if that's a better option - set the Focusrite up with knobs all the  up, then use the tube pre to control input volume. May be worth testing, but I like what I heard, so maybe just let it be.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2016, 09:24:13 PM »
Well, an overdriven tube is an entirely different sound than an overdriven Q, that's for sure.   If it were me, I'd probably leave the Focusrite where it is and back the tube pre just a smidge.   You weren't clipping by much, and only on the hotter record.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2016, 09:54:39 AM »

But that tape noise floor adds ambiance to the sound... O0

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2016, 10:22:01 AM »
That may well be.   Dither is just the act of adding noise to the signal.   But that doesn't have anything to do with setting levels.