Author Topic: USB Jitterbug or WYRD?  (Read 4805 times)

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
USB Jitterbug or WYRD?
« on: November 11, 2015, 09:04:58 AM »
Anyone here try either the JitterBug USB Data & Power Noise Filter or the
WYRD USB DECRAPIFIER?  Would appreciate your comments and observations on both....
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
Re: USB Jitterbug or WYRD?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 04:43:56 PM »
I find chemo to be an excellent declassified!. It sucks though

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 05:59:46 PM »
What is the issue you are trying to remedy?

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 09:15:23 PM »
not so much of an issue, but rather bought a used Yoga 2 11 to be used exclusively for streaming and file music and don't like the sound as much as I hear/ heard from my Ultrabook Think Pad...  these are relatively cheap add ons, since I think I may be hearing "jitter" or artifacts of some kind.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 10:36:23 PM »
hmmm... I would double check a couple of other things in the Jriver software config before hopping on the Jitterbug bandwagon.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 10:58:31 PM »
hmmm... I would double check a couple of other things in the Jriver software config before hopping on the Jitterbug bandwagon.

+1

I'll add one other thing.   Pepe was once having a DAC issue that he couldn't get to the bottom of, and I suggested that he may have a USB 1.1 cable with a device that requires one of the newer standards.   Turned out that a new cable fixed his issue.

To complicate things, I've never seen a version label right on the cable.   It usually says on the package, but not always.   If you are using an older cable you had on hand, my first bit of advice would be to get the latest version.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 12:13:25 AM »
good tip, but I'm using a Blue Heaven cable that is appropriate to the Bifrost DAC which only uses  USB 2.0...The Bifrost is not compatible with USB 3.0 nor 1.1 etc The sound was very good with the Think Pad... just a little bit off with the Yoga 2 using the exact same DAC, same cord etc....

Anders

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 07:41:40 PM »
What about the Audioquest Dragonfly ?

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 11:10:30 PM »
Thanks for the thought, but I don't believe that changing DACs will solve the problem since I  have switched back and forth between the laptops, with no other changes in the system. ,and it is definitely on that side of the chain. I ordered a Jitterbug which should be here Monday. a minimal expense which may get rid of the jitter or artifacts I'm hearing only with the Yoga 2 11

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 10:41:45 AM »
OK... I've been ruminating on this problem for a few days now... and played around with it again this morning for a few hours ( it's nice being retired lol)... checked all settings in the Yoga for the umteenth time, and confirmed JRiver settings were exactly the same.. again....... then on a whim, I shut off the Web Root software that came with the Yoga 2 11.... MUCH MUCH MUCH better! no more drop outs and the sound is now about 95% -98% equal to the Think Pad. Hoping the Jitterbug gets me the rest of the way. A big relief that I didn't waste $$$

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 11:45:37 AM »
Jim -

One thought: the Jitterbug is sold by Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Audioquest-AU-Jitterbug-AudioQuest-Jitterbug-Filter/dp/B00YTA78FW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447691934&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+audio+jitter

You can order it, test, report to us, and return if we not useful. 

OBJ

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 02:54:09 PM »
Jitterbug showed up this afternoon... plugged it in, and instantly I can no longer detect any aberrations or artifacts.... believe finally  I'm back to where I was before change to Yoga 2 11 ... continued listening will reveal any other benefits or negatives, but at a minimum I'm better than it was. A worthy $40 investment (from Abt.com)