Author Topic: tube rolling Sunday  (Read 7568 times)

OldiesButGoodies

tube rolling Sunday
« on: November 09, 2015, 10:25:40 AM »
 :laugh:

IMG_0097 by Jose Sifontes, on Flickr

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: tube rolling Sunday
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 02:30:27 PM »
I guess it's fitting that someone working for an Rx firm is using pill bottles to store tubes
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 02:55:25 PM »
I actually showed Pepe that trick.   I was loaning him my Mullards to audition.   I met him at the shop, and when he asked if I had the tubes, I reached into my pants pocket and he got a startled look on his face.   When he saw the tubes padded in an Rx container, he smiled approvingly.   I handed him the tubes and said "Careful, I hear those are habit forming".

Offline vstarkwell

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Bass!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 04:49:01 PM »
@Pepe,

I still have all those Amperex Bugle Boys circa 1958 ECC83's if you wanna try them out

Check out the MC1's per this link actually made in Hamburg Germany.

http://www.tube-classics.de/TC/Tubes/Valvo%20ECC83/ECC83.htm
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 04:51:00 PM by vstarkwell »

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 06:30:13 PM »
Did you just roll them around in the bottles? Where's the results?!

I haven't tried many different 12AX7's, got a quad of Tele's and never changed them. I have had some fun rolling 12AU7's in the pre and getting very different characteristics.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 10:49:05 PM »
Ian - I have a bixz dinner in Squirrel Hill tomorrow - can I pop by to borrow those 12AX7s  :P?

All:  STAL showed me the way of the pill bottle cotton cocoon,  kudos to him for that...

The tube  rolling led me to the declaring the Lowrey organ tubes as being a good fit for the Goldenears.   The Telefunkens STAL donated are also pretty good.  The best so far? Old Mullards, but I still need to get my hands on a pair I can own -they are expensive...

Also - this tube rolling things is a function of component synergy.  If you have bright speakers (like m new Goldenears) it is best to pair them w a tube set and cables that do not emphasize treble.

Fun...

OBG

Regards

P

Offline vstarkwell

• Bass!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 11:18:17 PM »
Ian - I have a bixz dinner in Squirrel Hill tomorrow - can I pop by to borrow those 12AX7s  :P?

OBG

Regards

P

Pepe,

How many would you like to borrow? and yes tomorrow works. Call me to arrange the time.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 11:41:56 PM »
The Telefunkens STAL donated are also pretty good.  The best so far? Old Mullards, but I still need to get my hands on a pair I can own -they are expensive...

Did I give you Teles?   I remember loaning you the Mullards from The Leak, and I gave you an RCA 12ax7a, but I don't recall Teles.   That may have been someone else.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 09:59:56 PM »
That is right!  You gave me the RCAs,  and I think the Teles may have been from Carl.  Ian loaned me a pair of old Amperex to try today,   maybe I will go give those a quick try before going to bed...   >:D

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 08:33:29 PM »
Pepe, those Teles were from me.
Carl

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 01:54:35 PM »
Did you just roll them around in the bottles? Where's the results?!

I haven't tried many different 12AX7's, got a quad of Tele's and never changed them. I have had some fun rolling 12AU7's in the pre and getting very different characteristics.

So far my quick off-the-cuff semi-worthless observations on 12AX7s (I caveat these by stating what we all know,  the combo of equipment is what sounds this way or that, the tubes are just a link in a chain).

• The Tung-sols are decent tubes,  but the gold pins do not make any difference in my system (vs std ones),  so save your money and get the base version.
  • The best sounding overall to me have been the Mullards,  particularly if you like solid tube-like bass.  They are just great, excellent imaging and soundstage, but also expensive.
  • The Telefunkens sound slightly better than the Tung-Sols, wee bit better imaging.
  • The Bugle Boys from Ian: still evaluating, but soundstage thus far feels flatter than the other ones.  Could be that I am still dialing in the new speakers.
  • The Mazda Electronique 12AX7s are excellent,  I would place them above the Teles
  • The Lowrey Organ tubes seem very similar to the Teles in sound,  with slightly stronger bass.
  • The typical RCA 12AX7 I rate lower than the Tung Sols

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 03:11:52 PM »

• The Mazda Electronique 12AX7s are excellent,  I would place them above the Teles

I never heard of these.   Are they vintage or a new production?

Offline vstarkwell

• Bass!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 04:06:02 PM »
@STaL

http://www.audiotubes.com/12ax7.htm

Scroll down aways and there's a little blurb about the Mazda's

@Pepe,

I meant to let you borrow some Military grade 12AX7's Sylvania 12AX7WA's), I've never listened to them but have been told they sound great. You can borrow those too if you would like.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 04:13:34 PM »
Cool.

Offline geoffr

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 05:02:28 PM »
I have some RCA 12ax7 long black plates that sound very good.
Living room: Fisher 400, Thorens TD124, Arcam CD, Klipsch Heresy
Home office: Scott 222c or Fisher KX-200, Thorens TD124, Marantz CD + Peachtree DAC, Omega 3T desktop speakers and Deep Hemp sub
Basement: Rogue Cronus, Meadowlark Kestrel, Rega P25, Marantz CD