Author Topic: tube rolling Sunday  (Read 7663 times)

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
Re: tube rolling Sunday
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2015, 02:35:29 PM »
Very cool review Pepe, nice stock you have there.  I'm running the E84L's in my carver 20 watt right now and loving them,  but still really interested in popping in some mullards and having a listen.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 11:31:22 AM »
I have some RCA 12ax7 long black plates that sound very good.

I have a single RCA long plate - need to find a second one to test in stereo.  :(|)

BTW - putting aside whether one likes the sound of the Goldenear speakers,  one thing that is remarkable is their ability to differentiate equipment.  You change tubes and it is easier to notice the change than it was with the barn doors. 

Offline geoffr

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 04:17:34 PM »
I'll check and see if I have a single.
Living room: Fisher 400, Thorens TD124, Arcam CD, Klipsch Heresy
Home office: Scott 222c or Fisher KX-200, Thorens TD124, Marantz CD + Peachtree DAC, Omega 3T desktop speakers and Deep Hemp sub
Basement: Rogue Cronus, Meadowlark Kestrel, Rega P25, Marantz CD

Offline Meles

• FNG !!!
  • It's Classic But It's Good
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 12:33:00 AM »
Did you just roll them around in the bottles? Where's the results?!

I haven't tried many different 12AX7's, got a quad of Tele's and never changed them. I have had some fun rolling 12AU7's in the pre and getting very different characteristics.

So far my quick off-the-cuff semi-worthless observations on 12AX7s (I caveat these by stating what we all know,  the combo of equipment is what sounds this way or that, the tubes are just a link in a chain).

• The Tung-sols are decent tubes,  but the gold pins do not make any difference in my system (vs std ones),  so save your money and get the base version.
  • The best sounding overall to me have been the Mullards,  particularly if you like solid tube-like bass.  They are just great, excellent imaging and soundstage, but also expensive.
  • The Telefunkens sound slightly better than the Tung-Sols, wee bit better imaging.
  • The Bugle Boys from Ian: still evaluating, but soundstage thus far feels flatter than the other ones.  Could be that I am still dialing in the new speakers.
  • The Mazda Electronique 12AX7s are excellent,  I would place them above the Teles
  • The Lowrey Organ tubes seem very similar to the Teles in sound,  with slightly stronger bass.
  • The typical RCA 12AX7 I rate lower than the Tung Sols
WTF Pepe! Your not rolling gold pin Russian Tungsols are you! With Mazdas I thought for sure you'd be talking about black plates from the 50s. Lowrey did not make tubes by the way, just rebranded. Bite your tongue if talking about RCA blackplates (horseshoe getter a must). My favorite is a real darkhorse being talked up in other circles. The CBS 7729:

From the early 60s they go for about $175 each or so, but the non gold pin version is the CBS 12AX7A with the same halo getter and structure. Awfully nice tube for peanuts.
SPK:Vandersteen 4a
AMP(sub):Eagle 2a, all black gate caps
AMP(mid):Allen Organ converted to 300B PP
AMP(high):Allen Organ carcus w/seperate ps 6B4G PP
PRE:Loesch (got to go)
T/T:Well Tempered Classic with Benz Ruby
CD:Pioneer BDP-51FD hotrodded
CBL:Monster Sigma M2000, M2.4, PS Audio AC-12

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 07:39:13 AM »
$175 each is peanuts?

Offline Meles

• FNG !!!
  • It's Classic But It's Good
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 11:06:23 AM »
$175 each is peanuts?
$20. For cbs 12ax7a.  A low testing pair of 7729 currently up for $50' but very low.

Using two myself and prefer even to the Genalex.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-GENALEX-B759-12AX7-PRE-AMP-PREAMP-TUBE-BOX-TESTS-STRONG-/121776919255?hash=item1c5a7852d7:g:kC0AAOSwFnFWDuTb
SPK:Vandersteen 4a
AMP(sub):Eagle 2a, all black gate caps
AMP(mid):Allen Organ converted to 300B PP
AMP(high):Allen Organ carcus w/seperate ps 6B4G PP
PRE:Loesch (got to go)
T/T:Well Tempered Classic with Benz Ruby
CD:Pioneer BDP-51FD hotrodded
CBL:Monster Sigma M2000, M2.4, PS Audio AC-12

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2015, 12:10:21 PM »
Sorry, I just reread your post.   I misunderstood.