Author Topic: HELLO HELLO HELLO, IS ANYBODY OUT THERE?  (Read 8115 times)

Offline The Rifleman

• FNG !!!
Re: HELLO HELLO HELLO, IS ANYBODY OUT THERE?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 11:36:15 AM »
MacGeek,
It's the cart that can be erratic. I have purchased two similar model B and O tables on ebay much to my chagrin as one was worthless and the other worked but for a short while. I took my table to Galaxy only to be told that he doesn't work on B and O's. When I got it home, I gave my turntable another whirl and lo and behold, its worked.  I did clean the pods or at least I attempted to a while back. Maybe that made a difference over time. It's all voodoo to me.

Well, I can be the replacement croosword puzzle doer. I tackle the Sunday New York Times and over the course of a week I can usually scratch out a B+ result.

Which of you fellas enjoys live entertainment? I thought the point of the exceptional systems the folks on this site have built was to replicate the live experience. Or is it more about studio sound replication? Enquiring minds want to know.

Offline AdamG

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2015, 12:27:36 PM »
Currently I don't have a 'hi-fi" rig set up due to living situation, but when I do, I shoot for a more studio reproduction flavor of sound. When I want to rock 'n roll I've got DIY line arrays that I built that get the live sound pretty well, end have plenty of volume too.

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2015, 01:48:55 PM »
Good friend of mine has three B&O's and he got the same response from Vince. Apparently B&O will not supply parts to anyone who isn't a B&O dealer. Proprietary nonsense. 

One of his is in my basement and is completely worthless. Another needs a new cart, which he isn't willing to pony up for but wants to keep the table. The third is a linear and works, until you put a 180G record on it. Half way through a side it slows down from the weight of the record.  They look nice, but my opinion is they just aren't worth the trouble with so many other tables that sound as good for way less than just the price of a replacement cart.

As for Tom, does he need help? I'd be willing to help him out get all this stuff sorted out, but I have no clue what he's up against. I'm sure there may be others here willing to chip in as well? I don't know him except for talking to him a few times at the old shop. If someone talks to him, maybe offer up our help?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2015, 02:08:31 PM »
We've had a couple "group sessions", but it was difficult with so many hands and so little direction (IMHO), but that was some time ago and I would be game for another round if anyone else is.

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2015, 08:35:53 PM »
Which of you fellas enjoys live entertainment?

I just bought tickets for me and my wife to see Norah Jones at the Carnegie Music Hall in Oakland Oct.. 21st (?).  Not a bad seat in that venue.  I've been up and down and all over that facility over the years.  IMHO, it's a perfect place to hear Norah.

I saw Patrica Barber at the Chicago Axpona Audio show in April.  Nice performance, intimate setting, very nice music!  Additionally, I was able to see Diana Krall and the Pittsburgh Symphony at Heinz Hall in July.  Amazing lady and the symphonic accompaniment was luster on the performance.

This Thursday my wife, daughter and I will see Josh Groban at Heinz Hall.  This performance also includes the Pittsburgh Symphony.

It's been a cool year for  live music for this old guy. O0
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 08:39:49 PM by schwarcw »
Carl

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2015, 09:31:43 PM »
I thought the point of the exceptional systems the folks on this site have built was to replicate the live experience.

Absolutely.  That is my aspiration always.   Sometimes this leads me to think that there should be some PA mixed into our systems for slam.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2015, 10:14:14 PM »
I half agree.   Some of my favorite albums are ones that would be quite difficult to reproduce live.   I think a good stereo should be a better experience aurally than a live show.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2015, 10:20:23 PM »
Missed the Dianna Krall show-bummer-but did get to see Chris Botti and the Smokey Robinson program.  I was most impressed, the old dog still has it.

Going to see Jersey Boys next week; haven't been to a musical for awhile.

STaL-I agree, but think it's due to processing and arrangements that don't lend themselves to live presentations.  On the other hand, there are some shows that an album can't match-Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon, is one live performance I will never forget.  I was totally blown away and still remember it like it was yesterday.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline The Rifleman

• FNG !!!
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2015, 05:45:55 PM »
MacGeek,

I saw Genesis perform the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway at the Syria Mosque in 1974 and I left a changed man/boy. Simply a transcendent two hours and the barometer by which I judge all other shows. I thoroughly agree with your comment:
"still remember it like it was yesterday."

Offline schwarcw

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2015, 09:07:52 PM »
MacGeek,

I saw Genesis perform the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway at the Syria Mosque in 1974 and I left a changed man/boy. Simply a transcendent two hours and the barometer by which I judge all other shows. I thoroughly agree with your comment:
"still remember it like it was yesterday."

Rifleman,

I was there also!!!  Small world!  I was about ten or fifteen rows back, near the center.  Man the smoke was all over the place!  LOL!  >:D  O0  8)

The "Carpet Crawlers" video was pretty cool for the time!
Carl

Offline schwarcw

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2015, 10:00:40 PM »
Josh Groban was fabulous at the Benedum last night.  His voice tonal quality and range was incredible.  He did a flawless pitch pivot without any music to key off.  Powerful voice even at his "normal" singing level.  I didn't hear him "belt" his voice at any point last night.  His falsetto is just crazy fast!   Former CMU student what a talent!!
Carl

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 07:40:23 PM »
Another vote for ribbons!
YES!!! Ribbons RULE!!!!!  ;)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!