Author Topic: Hi From Savannah  (Read 9109 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Re: Hi From Savannah
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2016, 03:45:29 PM »
She'll get used to it.  She just doesn't realize it yet.  Then one day, you won't turn it on, and the TV will be playing through the crappy built-in speakers, and she'll realize what the fuss is all about.  At least I assume... I have yet to experience wife acceptance :P  Come to think of it, she still doesn't even know what my new amps look like since they're still in the boxes.

Oy vey - wait until she sees the two new microwave ovens that do not make popcorn.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 05:01:51 PM by OldiesButGoodies »

bearjew

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2016, 04:01:32 PM »
Where'd those lil Carvers go off to, BJ?

I haven't owned a Carver amp in like 2 years?

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2016, 05:04:06 PM »
Where'd those lil Carvers go off to, BJ?

I haven't owned a Carver amp in like 2 years?

Last pair of amps BJ owned were Emotiva XPA-2s,  I think.  He is going back to non-linear amplification.  May the force be with him.

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2016, 05:48:16 PM »
I thought he had a little pair of Carver speakers he was using?  I saw he was listing the McIntoshes again as his speakers du jour...
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2016, 06:32:23 PM »
BJ had emotiva XP1 monoblocks. He had a couple Carver CRM-2 on loan since he sold his Carver ALS III + speakers. He's still waiting for his surprise speakers

Offline jazzman53

• FNG !!!
    • Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2016, 08:56:23 PM »
Impressive site.   Due to family considerations, I could never have a pair of ESLs, but it is fun to live vicariously through your terrific pictures.

Thank you Sir,
The only reason I haven't moved in with my GF is that she won't have my speakers in her living room... with the black grills on they look like the obelisks from 2001 Space Odysee   

They also zap flying insects and anything else that makes a conduction path between the stators.

DO NOT repeat DO NOT move in with her - yet.  You must absolutely agree on this issue before making any such escalation of the relationship.  Our hobby is a lifelong obsession - trying to live with someone that does not recognize that is a really bad move (it will not get better, the love will slowly wither and turn into woofer-argument hell).  She may even  talk you into getting one of those absurdly expensive Bose systems that sound like Bose. Get her commitment in writing,  like a pre-nup,  that your partner,  "________ agrees to live with your speaker size and aesthetic choices,  in sickness and in health, until death do you apart"   Have it notarized (the UPS store will do that for 15 bucks, and you will give the notary a laugh) and framed,  make one copy for each listening room.   Add a word about subwoofers in there, and a clause that permits at least 7 real speakers (not in-walls) in the home theater area if you have one.  Then move in with her and get ready to walk with her to the wall where the contract document is on display every time an argument about WAF pops up (of course,  have several copies in reserve at a safe location -  she will occasionally destroy the copy on display and claim it was stolen by eccentric crooks).   

Just some advice from experience.

:)

OBG

I will certainly heed your advice, Mr. OBG.   In fact, I had my GF read your post today in the hope that she might realize the gravity of the situation, visa-vi our relationship.  And in fact, some weeks ago I initiated a plan bring her around by gifting to her a vintage hi-fi system of her very own---  consisting of a pair of the diminutive yet huge sounding 2015 CarverFest speakers, a Carver CT-7 preamp, Carver TFM-42 power amp, and a powered 12" sub built with my own hands.

However, my plan may have backfired:  After hearing how good  the tiny CarverFest speakers sound my GF (a.k.a. China Doll) seems no more inclined to allow my big stats in her living room, even though she concedes that they are the finest speakers she's ever heard.   

Obviously my attempt to decipher the female non-Boolean logic has failed completely. 
Carver C1 preamp
Logitech Transporter
Carver CTL100 CDP 
Carver TX-11A tuner
Carver TFM-25 amps (4)
Behringer DEQ 2496 EQ
Behringer DCX 2496 crossover
DIY Hybrid Electrostatic speakers
DIY Ripole Subs
DIY cables

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2016, 09:19:46 PM »

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2016, 09:24:58 PM »
My wife started that way but has grown to appreciate the benefits of partnering with someone obsessed with this hobby,  namely:

1. I spend most of my time safely tucked away in my music room - no temptation to womanize or go do drugs, etc.

2. She gets a great a home theater experience when she wants to watch a movie.

3.  I make money on trading equipment 70% of the time

Hope you can convince her!

OBG

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2016, 09:44:08 PM »
We think alike, Pepe.   I told my wife that most mid life crises involve a Harley and a blonde.   Mine is relatively tame.