Author Topic: Hi From Savannah  (Read 9104 times)

Offline jazzman53

• FNG !!!
    • Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
Hi From Savannah
« on: January 01, 2016, 01:25:06 PM »
Hi all,

I'm an old guy from Savannah, GA.  I have mostly Carver gear and I build ESL speakers.  Some of you may even know me from the Carversite or the Carver Audio Forum. 

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Charlie (a.k.a. Jazzman)

Carver C1 preamp
Logitech Transporter
Carver CTL100 CDP 
Carver TX-11A tuner
Carver TFM-25 amps (4)
Behringer DEQ 2496 EQ
Behringer DCX 2496 crossover
DIY Hybrid Electrostatic speakers
DIY Ripole Subs
DIY cables

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Hi From Savannah
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 01:28:12 PM »
Welcome Jazzman.  Got any pics of your speaker builds?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline jazzman53

• FNG !!!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 01:49:06 PM »
Welcome Jazzman.  Got any pics of your speaker builds?

Hi MacGeek,
My websitecontains many photos and an extensive how-toe guide to building ESL's:

http://jazzman-esl-page.blogspot.com/   
Carver C1 preamp
Logitech Transporter
Carver CTL100 CDP 
Carver TX-11A tuner
Carver TFM-25 amps (4)
Behringer DEQ 2496 EQ
DIY Ripole Subs
DIY cables

Offline geoffr

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 02:26:12 PM »
Greetings! Is Mrs. Wilkes' still there? I ate there many times over the years, but have not been down recently.
Living room: Fisher 400, Thorens TD124, Arcam CD, Klipsch Heresy
Home office: Scott 222c or Fisher KX-200, Thorens TD124, Marantz CD + Peachtree DAC, Omega 3T desktop speakers and Deep Hemp sub
Basement: Rogue Cronus, Meadowlark Kestrel, Rega P25, Marantz CD

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 02:38:24 PM »
Impressive site.   Due to family considerations, I could never have a pair of ESLs, but it is fun to live vicariously through your terrific pictures.

Offline jazzman53

• FNG !!!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 04:15:45 PM »
Greetings! Is Mrs. Wilkes' still there? I ate there many times over the years, but have not been down recently.

yes, last time I checked Mrs Wilkes' is still open; although I've never eaten there myself (don't get downtown that much)
Carver C1 preamp
Logitech Transporter
Carver CTL100 CDP 
Carver TX-11A tuner
Carver TFM-25 amps (4)
Behringer DEQ 2496 EQ
DIY Ripole Subs
DIY cables

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 08:52:41 PM »
Very cool web site.   Do your design best Martin Logan's in the end?

Offline jazzman53

• FNG !!!
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 11:12:35 PM »
Very cool web site.   Do your design best Martin Logan's in the end?

I have not heard the latest ML models, let alone in the same room.  That said, and based on my recall of the older ML Summits, I would say that my speakers best the ML's older ML Summits in almost every respect: Imaging, blending between the woofers and stat panels, overall slam and treble response.  But then, my speakers are less compromised in many respects, as no consideration was given to sales or profit.

I attribute better bass blending to the choice of a low-inductance woofer coupled to a lower Q transmission line.  And flat panels give more focused imaging and greater slam than curved panels.  Also, my panels use lighter 6-micron (vs 12-micron) diaphragms, which yeilds somewhat better treble response.  Additionally, my speakers are bi-amped with active digital crossovers-- not cheap but superior to single-amped passive setups.           

What I can't do and ML can is design passive crossovers that work well enough to allow building non-bi amp'd hybrid ESL's that sound good.  It's horrendously difficult to build a balanced hybrid ESL with passive components.  And this you must be able to do if you wish to build ESL's cheaply enough to sell at a profit.     

Carver C1 preamp
Logitech Transporter
Carver CTL100 CDP 
Carver TX-11A tuner
Carver TFM-25 amps (4)
Behringer DEQ 2496 EQ
DIY Ripole Subs
DIY cables

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 12:50:34 AM »
Welcome and nice website?  I gotta know... What perfume does Diana Krall wear?

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 07:09:26 AM »
Well hello Charlie! Glad you finally got here. He also has some very interesting woofers. They may be in the pics on his link.
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

bearjew

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 07:14:12 AM »
Welcome to the club!

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 09:52:35 AM »
Very impressive speakers, nicely done. While I love seeing DIY projects, I did NOT need to see "build a speaker on the kitchen table"!  >:D That got wheels spinning in my head. Maybe someday, I have a feeling if I did a build like that there could be two dead curious cats in the house, the intervention would soon follow.

bearjew

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 10:19:23 AM »
Very impressive speakers, nicely done. While I love seeing DIY projects, I did NOT need to see "build a speaker on the kitchen table"!  >:D That got wheels spinning in my head. Maybe someday, I have a feeling if I did a build like that there could be two dead curious cats in the house, the intervention would soon follow.

My wife hates when I look at DIY stuff.  I recently asked her if I could make a 7 foot tall subwoofer...  You can probably guess what the response was.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 10:46:13 AM »

My wife hates when I look at DIY stuff.  I recently asked her if I could make a 7 foot tall subwoofer...  You can probably guess what the response was.

Is she strong enough to move a 7' sub? If so, you're screwed. If not, turn it up and you're good to go!

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 12:31:05 PM »
"What I can't do and ML can is design passive crossovers that work well enough to allow building non-bi amp'd hybrid ESL's that sound good.  It's horrendously difficult to build a balanced hybrid ESL with passive components.  And this you must be able to do if you wish to build ESL's cheaply enough to sell at a profit."

Jazzman - I would imagine designing that could be hellaciously complicated. On the other hand biamping does give the listener a bit more flexibility tailoring the sound to their taste.   Do you find you lose resolution or add noise by going through the Behringer? In theory it is doing everything at 96/24 so that there should not be anything detectable, but what about noise from the inexpensive op amps in the active?