Author Topic: Craigs List... Need to vent...  (Read 8236 times)

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
Re: Craigs List... Need to vent...
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 07:17:22 AM »
For every terrible CL experience, well... maybe every few, you have one like last night where a perfectly nice guys stops in, checked out my guitar, bought it without haggling and was gone within a half hour.  To think I'd been trying to sell online for months, avoiding local/CL.
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 07:51:58 AM »
That has literally been all of my CL experiences so far.   I guess someone is watching out for me.

bearjew

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 07:58:19 AM »
For every terrible CL experience, well... maybe every few, you have one like last night where a perfectly nice guys stops in, checked out my guitar, bought it without haggling and was gone within a half hour.  To think I'd been trying to sell online for months, avoiding local/CL.

I don't mind a little bit of haggling, but it needs to be done before the buyer even comes over.  I usually post things at a high price expecting it to get haggled down, but I don't like when someone shows up, then makes a ridiculous offer.  I also can't stand when people come to see it, but don't come prepared to take the item.  Like, I'm selling some furniture, and these people say "I want to come see it tonight", then when they get there, it's "oh, I need to come back tomorrow with my pickup truck."  Why didn't you just bring the truck this time, save the money in gas, save a tree, and save us both some time?  People need to quit sniffing paint thinner.

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 10:27:45 AM »
That has literally been all of my CL experiences so far.   I guess someone is watching out for me.

Dang... you have had it easy, maybe it's different here in FayetteNam.
Spendor FL9

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 10:31:44 AM »

I do think haggling over price is best done beforehand, but I can see, on occasion, where condition is different than pictures show, etc... which is totally different than either showing and offering 25% or more less, unable to physically take or actually pay for the item, or -my favorite- the buyer who sets up an appointment and disappears off the face of the Earth.  I once sat in a parking lot halfway between Uniontown and Pittsburgh for an hour for someone who never showed... that was the last time on that, if you want it, YOU come get it.
Spendor FL9

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 02:18:53 PM »
but I can see, on occasion, where condition is different than pictures show, etc... which is totally different than either showing and offering 25% or more less

This.   I always felt it was unfair to haggle before even seeing the item.   What are you basing the offer on?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2016, 02:21:16 PM »

Really easy.   I've probably had three dozen CL sales and only one person ever came over to hear something and didn't buy it.   I would say 80% pay asking cost and the other 20% have been just friendly haggling, which I build into the listed price anyway.

I hope I'm not jinxing myself here.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2016, 09:16:01 PM »
I've never sold anything on CL. I guess I never liked the idea of a stranger in my space. You guys are strange enough.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 02:03:56 PM »
I've never sold anything on CL. I guess I never liked the idea of a stranger in my space. You guys are strange enough.

Is that a compliment?  I'll take it as a compliment. 

I think George just wanted us to listen to his story and, being men (I think with Bunni gone there are no females in the site),  we decided to solve the problem as well. 

:-)

OBG

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2016, 02:45:33 PM »
Oh, sorry George. Vent any time.
What happened to Bunni?

bearjew

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2016, 03:40:58 PM »
Oh, sorry George. Vent any time.
What happened to Bunni?

Her and Anders are no longer on the forum.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 04:13:14 PM »
Thanks BJ. Call me later

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2016, 10:28:18 PM »
So funny that this ad came up today.   You know what, I did have one bad CL experience.It was literally two or three years ago.   I went to look at this...

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ele/5411644945.html

I know it is the same guy from the map in the ad.   I went there with SACDs and DVD-As in hand.   I wanted to demo it and felt the need to be prepared to see what it would do.   I even brought headphones.   Literally the only thing the guy had to do was plug it into the wall.   He refused.   He told me that everything worked and that I was "rude" to try to waste his time.   Just give me the $40, he said.   I respectfully declined and turned to leave.   The entire walk down the porch stairs, down the sidewalk and into my vehicle a stream of curse words followed me, telling me about how I had wasted his time.

How hysterical that the guy is still trying to sell this after all this time.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 06:39:28 AM »
If it's been 2 or 3 years, maybe now he's willing to plug it in :)
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2016, 01:11:15 PM »
Just bring an extension cord!!!
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers