Author Topic: I dislike Microsoft  (Read 2597 times)

OldiesButGoodies

I dislike Microsoft
« on: January 20, 2016, 06:28:01 PM »
I have a 1.5 year old Microsoft Surface Pro 3 from work. Granted,  I travel like crazy and the hardware gets beat up more than normal - but still! Battery life went from 8 hours to 3.  Now when it warns me that only "8% of battery" is left,  it dies within ten seconds (thank you for the helpful warning, Seattle!). This is followed by Windows 8 rebooting 3 or 4 times (once I connect power), cruelly wasting my time for no logical reason.   I am getting closer to just buying my own (Mac) hardware and having the folks at work configure it for the (work) network.  Maybe it is a Windows 10 vs Windows 8 thing - but my experience with Macs is soooo much better. 

There - I am done venting.

OBG
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 06:41:01 PM by OldiesButGoodies »

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: I dislike Microsoft
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 06:40:00 PM »
I am no computer genius, but have always preferred Apple products.  I  started with them in the 1980s and as with VHS vs Beta, the better format lost.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 06:45:19 PM »
I like the quality of the Apple products we have.  But they have too many limitations for the business software my company uses.
Carl

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 06:57:31 PM »
Abort, retry, fail? a
Abort, retry, fail? r
Abort, retry, fail? f

And thus ends my use for anything microsoft. I'm all Apple. It works for me, they're less in my way on obtaining my end goal, and I'm able to better control it. They are not for everyone. The high cost and vertical integration turn most people off, for me it's worth it.

That said I do use virtual machines on my Macs to run windows for those certain apps that only run on windows. 99% of the time that serves its purpose, although sometimes USB interaction doesn't work so great.

I've got a MacBook Pro here that I'm ready to smash with sledgehammer. Test after test after show no faulty hardware, reinstall OS multiple times and it just can't get out of its own way.  So not all Macs are great.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 09:59:01 PM »
I dislike Microsoft, but I dislike Apple even more.

Offline ST-Rider

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 08:00:32 AM »
I got burned with Apple products after 3 computers that I know of (1 of my MacPros, and 2 of my parent's iMacs) stopped working way too early, and Apple could do nothing for them. You'd think that by paying 3x as much for the Apple name/logo that the build quality would reflect that, but you'd be wrong.
Carver C5
Carver TFM22
Paradigm Monitor 7 v.4

bearjew

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 12:29:50 PM »
Windows > OSX
Windows Hardware < Mac

Why I run Windows on a MacBook air these days...  They get super hot when I do stupid things like play video games, but damn it does it run seamlessly.  I don't like the stigma that comes with owning apple, and I find OSX to be very "idiot-proof", which doesn't allow for a lot of optimization or customization, but the hardware was definitely thought out well (minus heat dissipation)

Offline ST-Rider

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 07:23:55 AM »
I don't know that I'd make a choice based on a sitgma...if it works for you, then that should be enough....who cares what others think?

Anyway, I'm kind of the opposite. I like the *nix base of OSX (I remember when it was on the NeXT...now there's some cool hardware!).

I think it was the heat problems that ended up killing all of my apple stuff.
Carver C5
Carver TFM22
Paradigm Monitor 7 v.4