Author Topic: Bass Trap Fail  (Read 9662 times)

Offline vstarkwell

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Bass!!!!!!!!!
Re: Bass Trap Fail
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 08:33:24 PM »
Gotta love the passion Pepe, I hope they do the trick.

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 01:36:28 PM »
OBG, the material that you are using to absorb sound simply doesn't work.  These materials will:  http://www.gikacoustics.com/product-category/diy-acoustic-panel-bass-traps-supplies/

Please read this link: http://www.gikacoustics.com/diy-acoustic-panel-frames/

They offer DIY materials and call tell you which Owens Corning material to buy.  They even can build you a finished product for a very reasonable cost, no "audiophile pricing"!  Or, guide you on how to do it yourself.  Send them a room sketch and they will offer potential solutions. 

They have a wealth of education materials and advice on their site.  GIK is the world leader in professional and residential room treatments.  I have bought their products and they are great people to work with.  Please contact them, you will thank me later.

Call me if you want to discuss.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 01:38:46 PM by schwarcw »
Carl

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 02:27:57 PM »
'does not work at all' are strong words given my empirical observation Carl!  Things tightened up quit a bit  (but this room was so bad before that pretty much anything would have helped in the corners,  even a rolled up carpet).  Will confirm impact by running an FFT waterfall later today.  Part of the fun to this,  I suspect,  may be switching materials,  like tube rolling.   Both towers are now dressed up in dark brown acoustic fabric and have "service areas"  accessible through one side of each for future filling with other material.  Time to clean up the mess in the garage before wife kills me.  But first,  some fish beer.

IMG_1227.jpg by Jose Sifontes, on Flickr

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2016, 08:36:38 PM »
I agree OBG.  What I am saying is that material you are using is great for thermal insulation but it is not the material that is designed for sound insulation.  Roll, roll, roll materials!

Your traps look pretty good.  You could get some cloth to match the blue walls.  The GIK has a variety of colored cloth.

Have another fish on me!  ;)
Carl

bmwr75

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 09:42:50 PM »
OBG,

What are the dimensions of this room?  The mains look much to close to the front wall to me.   Isn't 1/3 of the way into the room optimum (but never possible in all my practical experience)?

Can you put the Hsu sub on a side wall?

Scott

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 11:29:15 PM »
These speakers are a bit weird that way.   The get better closer to the wall,  though I have never tried them 1/3 out.  Maybe that is a 'later-this-week' experiment. 

I have had the sub on the side but I got better decay in the waterfall (faster) in that  position.  Still pending trying  the sub behind the listening area.

Room dimensions are roughly 24 x 27 with stairs and others door towards the back.

Thanks,

OBG

bmwr75

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 05:33:23 PM »
A nearly square room is not optimal.

bmwr75

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 09:41:38 PM »
You probably need some of these OBG.

http://www.shakti-innovations.com/hallograph.htm

:laugh: