Author Topic: surge protector / line conditioner  (Read 2576 times)

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
surge protector / line conditioner
« on: February 20, 2016, 10:11:27 AM »
wondering if anyone has one for sale, or thoughts on the matter.... would appreciate recommendations or what to avoid.
Thanks
Jim
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
Re: surge protector / line conditioner
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 10:31:08 AM »
Hey Jim,
I have a Monster Power HTS-3500-MKII that I've been very with. I know it really saved the bacon during two storms!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 11:36:39 AM »
IMHO, you get your best bang for the buck going with pro gear when it comes to power conditioning.   I'm using a Furman which I picked up used, but the comparable model is about $300 new.   They have a whole line from cheap to not so much...

http://www.sweetwater.com/c960--Power_Conditioners?params=eyJmYWNldCI6eyJCcmFuZCI6WyJGdXJtYW4iXX19

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 12:25:54 PM »
I do hear good things about Furman. I might add though I know a lot of members on AK with Monster Power and they are all very pleased. That's why I bought mine. They make lots of different models

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 08:34:50 PM »
I had an electrician put two big cans in my breaker box for about the price you are describing.  Protects the entire house against both surges and lightening.  For the last 15 years in two different houses, never a problem.  This approach does require two blanks in the breaker box.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 09:47:32 PM »
I have a DIY "inductive flywheel" type conditioner that I've actually been able to pick out more often than not when it's in use. Maybe its just dumb luck but I'll take it ;D.  It's really more of a conditioner than surge suppressor.  Now that I think about it it would be easy to add some protective circuits to it. I don't use it often and it's still just hard wired while sitting on the floor with wire nuts. But....I do think I will add it in permanently.