Author Topic: Harmony remotes  (Read 5507 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
Harmony remotes
« on: January 26, 2016, 12:14:16 AM »
First my wife wanted better sound for her tv, now she hits me with "we've got too many remotes" and "I want it like downstairs, one button to turn it all on". Downstairs we have a Harmony One. We've had it for 7, 8, 9 yrs or so and it's been used almost daily. Well worth the price way back then. Unfortunately, $150 for a remote ain't happening right now. I looked them up on epay and they're still fetching decent prices. $50-75 on the low end. So I looked up the new models and the 650 looks like it will do the trick for her. Refurbs go for $40. I'm thinking my 4 1/2 yr old daughter will catch on to it as well. She's a black belt iPad ninja and when we had the laptop hooked up to the tv, she knew Netflix inside out. Scares me at times. However, she know thinks when the "are you still watching?" pops up she thinks it's asking if she got her pajamas on yet.

Anyone had experience with both of these or the 650?

OldiesButGoodies

Re: Harmony remotes
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 07:58:08 AM »
I have experience with the 550s (have two), positive experience. These are infrared only  and you have to point it at the device for it to work, so a complicated startup procedure with equipment not all located in one direction  (my case with the TV on  the wall and equipment on the sides) can be  frustrating.  But net of that they are great remotes and with enough time (and knowledge of the IR coeds) can be programmed to do just about anything.  Very reliable - mine have been through hell and back,  still work.

bmwr75

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 08:51:04 AM »
I bought two 650s after we moved into the new house.  Other than having a slow internet connection and it taking a long time to connect to Harmony's programming web site, they are working fine.

One aggravation is it seems you have to do go through an OFF and then back ON cycle to switch inputs on the AVR (e.g., change from watching TV to a DVD) to get the remote to work correctly.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 11:57:08 AM »
Thanks guys. Line of sight won't be an issue, however, good point to remember.

I've had similar issues with switching with the One. I keep adding/deleting activities until it gets it right. It can be frustrating at times.

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 09:17:06 PM »
I have the Harmony 676.  You can program macro routines to power on/off multiple devices in order.  It seems to work fine.  But I could never get the family to use it. 

Programming was a bit tricky but once I grasped it it wasn't bad.   If you're interested in it you can borrow it.

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 10:30:46 PM »
Harmony One userhere. I'm happy with it but my family doesn't understand activities and ends up powering things on/off individually anyways. Sometimes they even end up pulling out the native remotes >.<

Fwiw, some of my devices have exclusive on and off controls as well as a power toggle which comes in handy.

I just used the universal remote capabilities in my cable TV remote for the room with just an STB + TV.
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 11:15:53 AM »
She went ahead and ordered the 650.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 02:33:38 PM »
650 arrived and is programmed. It's a winner, I actually like it a bit more than the One.

The negative: the screen on the 650 isn't a touch screen like the One. This is very minor. But if you have nothing but the touch screen on the One or similar, you'll find yourself tapping the screen and nothing happening.

The positive: Price. We got a refurb for $40 shipped and it looks new. Just the remote and USB cable, nothing else. The sw can be had from Logitech's website.

The biggest win for me is in the switching activities. Program each activity (Watch TV, Watch AppleTV, Watch DVD is all I needed for the girls). If you're watching a DVD and want to switch to one of the other activities, just press the button at the top and the current device is turned off and the new device is turned on, the TV remains on. With the One, this can be done but you need to program an activity for it. Huge PITA that was necessary with our 8 yr old TV that takes two minutes to "turn on". I had to program a bunch of Switch to BluRay, Switch to cable, Switch to records, etc..., just a pain.

Our One keeps going strong although the screen has lost pixels. I'll ride it out until it's dead. When it does die, I'll likely get a 650 to replace it.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 08:49:34 PM »
What is the gold standard for remotes theses days? Amazon has the Logitech Harmony Ultimate as the DotD for 200. Is it worth getting?

Carlos.

Go away