Author Topic: Elvis Presley 78 Shake Rattle Roll - Time Capsule condition  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Elvis Presley 78 Shake Rattle Roll - Time Capsule condition
« on: September 25, 2016, 10:42:23 PM »
This is definitely one of my more surprising finds. A 60 year old piece of shellac that looks pretty much just as it would have 60 years ago.

Elvis Presley
Shake, Rattle and Roll b/w Lawdy Miss Clawdy
RCA Victor 20-6642 (1956)
78 RPM

I'm not really a 78 collector, but I have a few and have handled lots of them. I have never seen one in this condition. I would rate it a conservative VG+. That's not VG+ for a 78, that's VG+ period. This would be an E+ on the VJM 78 grading scale. It is a couple scuffs and spindle marks from NM. There is also a slight lifting of the spindle hole on the B-side (as evidenced in the pictures). The A-side has a sticker from the store which sold it (which wasn't uncommon at that time, they didn't shrink records back then) but what is a bit unfortunate is that the original owned also wrote their name on that sticker in blue ink. The deadwax reads "G2WB-1294-1S" on the A-side and "G2WB-1293-1S" on the B-side. The record will be shipped in a new manila sleeve.

You won't believe how this record plays. it is very quiet with only occasional light ticks, no loud pops whatsoever. I am providing a recording of both sides in full, with as much deadwax as I could capture. This will tell the story much better than I can. About the recording... I don't have a player that spins at 78, so I recorded the disc at 45 then digitally corrected the speed. I did use a Shure 91 with a 3 mil conical stylus. This is a stereo cart and the recording provided is in stereo. I didn't fold. I also didn't use any kind of click repair, noise reduction or any other means if artificially improving the sound. Recording this at 45 lowered the frequencies and subsequently overloaded my phono input, so much of this recording is clipped. Basically the record sounds even better than the sample provided here, but this sample will demonstrate how amazingly clean this piece of shellac really is.

Please examine the pictures and listen to the recording. I am selling this record for $125 shipped CONUS. This will NOT be shipped media mail as I don't want some postal inspector opening and breaking it. This will ship Priority, packed in a record mailer, which will then be bubble wrapped and packed in a larger cardboard box. This thing has survived 60 years unscathed, I don't want it to be destroyed on it's way to you. Paypal Goods and Services or PM for International options.

Audio link...

https://mega.nz/#!IoFAgTZD!lINT-BgZihgwcW2DnnDpzeRm_0KQ2SrVojMAeEkMww4

If you have any issues with the link, Mega works best with Chrome. Thanks for looking at my listing.

PM for forum price.   Obviously there will be an additional substantial reduction for not having to pack/ship in addition to a forum discount.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
Re: Elvis Presley 78 Shake Rattle Roll - Time Capsule condition
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 02:35:34 AM »
That's cool. I had an opportunity to get a decent collection of 78's for free and said no since I don't have a turntable that can play them anyway. Too bad they weren't 33-1/3 LP's as I was told they were well cared for.