Author Topic: Schiit Yggdrasil  (Read 3796 times)

Offline Magnaryder

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Ray Campbell, Rush chairman, damn glad to meet you
Schiit Yggdrasil
« on: October 10, 2016, 01:32:17 AM »
Associated Equipment

E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier
Fosgate Signature Phono pre
Rega P3,SME 3009 typeIII arm/Ariston RD-40, Linn Basik arm/Grado Statement Master1 cart
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC
Tascam CC-222MKII CD/Cassette Recorder/AMD 9590 based PC/Gigabyte 990-UD5MB/2X Asus R9 290 vid cards/3X Samsung 240 GB SSD drives/32 Gb Corsair Vengence 2400mhz RAM /Corsair H100 h2o cooling system/NZXT white Phantom case.
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo loudspeakers

From the Schiit Website:

Yggdrasil is the ultimate DAC-for Schiit, and maybe for anyone. Compare it to anything at any price.

The Skinny:

Schiit claims(and most reviews bear out)it WILL showcase any weakness in upstream and downstream components including media. Well, they are correct. I put several of my fav CDs in and some of them sound horrible, like MP3s. Now other reviews I've read over the last year had made note of components not mustering up but CDs? Hmmm. I went through my collection and tried some others I thought make the cut. I've had Yggddrasil up and running since it arrived Thursday. Schitt says to never shut it off. Ok, no worries. Yggdrasil can't drain the coffers anywhere near as fast as leaving my gaggle of Lightstar amplifiers on year round. Thursday after the DAC warmed up for several hours I took it for a test spin. I brought some tasty treats from the likes of War, the Moody Blues and Dian Schuur to the party. If you haven't heard the Blues' tune 'Haunted' the Holograms had it spread more than 180 degrees around me Dian Shuur and Count Basie is one of my reference discs because its one of the finest recordings I've played in my system. Front to back a damn fine recording. Since the girls have been vacationing I've had many chances to give a listen to the Likes of Donald Fagan, The Doobie Brothers, Return to Forever, UFO, UK, Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush and the Indigo Girls. On every selection I'm hearing subtleties in the music that I haven't heard before. Now before you think its just me trying to justify the purchase I noted where these things were occurring and going back and playing them without the Yggdrasil in the mix. Nope not there. Now the discs sound great and I really wouldn't have noticed but no place I've been with any of the discs has resolved music to this level. Now some of this credit will have to go to the Spatial Audio Hologram M3s. But still many of these nuances aren't there when using the Tascam alone.

I've seen it written you have not heard Red Book until you've heard it played through Yggdrasil. My experience leads me to believe there is truth there.

More to come as time goes on.

ray
Magnaryder-EAR Yoshino V20 Integrated amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Rega P3TT,SME 3009 arm, Grado Statement Master1 cart, 2018 CarverFest 275 Amplifiers, CarverFest 2011 EL84 amplifiers Nos 50/51 Stax Earspeakers, Spatial Audio M3 OB loudspeakers and the Carver Research DarkStar sub.

OldiesButGoodies

Re: Schiit Yggdrasil
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 09:50:16 PM »
Great review,  thanks! 

I am interested to know:

• How does it compare to other DACs you have tried before (and what those were)
  • Does your gut tell you this was a good buy for the money so far,  knowing that it may get better (or not) as it breaks in

Thanks,

OBG

Offline Magnaryder

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 11:56:20 PM »
Yggdrasil is a destination piece....it recovers music no other DAC recovers. I listened to  Chord Hugo, Lamizator and Bel Canto...sadly all non-players. They don't recover all of the music. Worth every cent.

here's Bob digging it

ray

Magnaryder-EAR Yoshino V20 Integrated amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Rega P3TT,SME 3009 arm, Grado Statement Master1 cart, 2018 CarverFest 275 Amplifiers, CarverFest 2011 EL84 amplifiers Nos 50/51 Stax Earspeakers, Spatial Audio M3 OB loudspeakers and the Carver Research DarkStar sub.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 01:13:23 PM »
cool - I need to audition.  they have a 15 day money back warranty, may take advantage of that.  thanks for the detailed review.

Offline Magnaryder

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 06:11:50 PM »
more info coming when i have the time

ray