Author Topic: 4K AV receiver  (Read 4862 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
4K AV receiver
« on: December 12, 2016, 09:06:34 PM »
Our old Mitsubishi tv started acting up so the wife convinced me a new 70" tv was the fix. When something like that happens I know it's a trap, but I play along. The new tv is up n running. However, the receiver can't keep up. I had to run hdmi straight from the FIOS box to the tv and an optical to the receiver. Otherwise the puck during a hockey game stuttered. I admit I didn't think the whole thing through with the receiver so I need an upgrade.

I'm content with middle of the road audio when it comes to home theater. I'm looking at two receivers. One is a 5.1 and the other 7.2. Other than the additional speaker connections the only difference is the 7.2 has ATMOS. Is that worth the extra coin? I haven't put a blu ray on in months and currently flip between 5 channel and Dolby PL as I go.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: 4K AV receiver
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 10:37:22 PM »
Are you sure that all of your HDMI cables are of the latest generation?   The hiccups could be the receiver, but they could also be the extra cable you had to use from FIOS to receiver.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 06:48:14 AM »
Agreed and the receiver's HDMI switching capability must also keep up with the evolving standards.  This is one of the reasons A/V gear values fall like bricks (as new standards, such as 3D, 4k, etc. are introduced).

Since using anything but a high end A/V receiver or pre-pro to switch and/or process the video signal will cause degradation, I have always plugged my video sources directly into the TV.  I am not familiar with FIOS, but Comcast (Xfinity) has a new remote technology that operates the set top box, TV and my pre-pro (at least the basic functions).  With a single remote to switch the video input into the TV, set the pre-pro volume and operate the cable box, by passing the receiver for video switching no longer requires multiple remotes and makes it easy for family members to operate things with limited guidance from me.  My Samsung Plasma just bit the dust and I upgraded to an LG OLED display with no issues.

Depending on how your cable remote and set top box operate, you might want to consider keeping your receiver and spending those dollars on other toys.

By the way, my theater room is relatively small and 5.1 has been more than adequate for my needs.  I have heard Atmos and decided it's amazing and I just don't care (as with 3D video); like you, video is not my first priority.  Just have fun with it and do what your eyes and eras like best.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 09:09:16 AM »
All good advice..... check the cables, and if you do have to go "new"  give Mark at accessories4less.com a call. I've been very happy with my Marantz 6XXX receivers, and they have pre-outs of all channels. A very important feature for me anyway.

I was a supporter of 5.x for a long time, but once I heard a properly set up 7.x decided there was no comparison, the rear channels really adds a lot to the mix.  If for no other reason than better calibration, I'd go with Atmos... can't beat it.... it's way better than my ears, although of course I do tweak it a bit lol 
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 09:27:07 AM »
do what your eyes and eras like best.

I can't decide if that is a typo or poetry.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 11:55:57 AM »
When I got home from work last night the Denon wouldn't power on. I took it as a sign until I found the power strip flipped upside down and the power cord not plugged in. I had the strip precariously set on top of a cabinet, it must of toppled over.

All the cables are newer. I haven't looked up how the Denon works, does it passthrough the video signal or does it try to enhance it somehow. Advantage to a new receiver is the passthrough, make the TV do the work.

MacGeek, I think the remote technology you're talking about is HDMI-CEC. Manufacturers call it different names, but it's all the same. Remotes are tied together via HDMI. I use a Harmony One remote, so I haven't looked into trying this. However, if the Harmony bites the dust this may be a promising technology.

5.1 vs 7.2. Right now the space is setup for 5.1 and it's been fine. I can't help but think someday I may want 7.2 or bi amp the fronts which uses those 6 and 7 channels. I'm leaning more towards the 7.2 since you can't add it on afterwards without plucking down more cash for another receiver.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 11:49:19 AM »
I went with a Yamaha rx-v681. Got a fair deal for an open box so I bit on it.

My wife and daughter like playing Wii so this unit having component ins was a plus. Not a huge deal, but it hides the cables and makes switching inputs easier on them.

It also has a phono input, I'm not likely to use that. Where the receiver lives won't allow for a TT to be placed nearby.

After having a few Audyssey receivers figured I'd try this YPAO out. I've had two Audyssey receivers and always found myself tweaking what it sets. Perhaps a case of the grass is greener, we'll see.

So far, I've set it up with manual distances and levels then had pizza and movie night with my daughter. We watched Secret Life of Pets and I'm happy with the sound and picture. After she went to bed I watched the Pens game. I loathe the announcers and found a couple settings that work well to lower their jibber jabber and brings the sound of the game up.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 08:43:37 PM »
Seems you are having fun with it...mission accomplished.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77