Author Topic: Removing dust cover scratches  (Read 1169 times)

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
Removing dust cover scratches
« on: February 09, 2017, 10:47:47 AM »

(15:41:42) papabearjew: STaL. I bought some Maguires a while ago but I'm afraid to use it.
(15:42:15) papabearjew: When you're over here maybe you can give me some tips
(17:02:28) MacGeek: PBJ-it's easy. Apply it like a liquid wax, using a swirling motion buff the dust cover, or other surface, let the product dry and buff it to a shine. To be safe, test it on a small area, like the side or back panel of a dust cover. I do the inside as well as the outside. I have also used it to remove bugs on my car.
(01:36:23) papabearjew: Thanks MacGeek. What kind of cloth is best to use?
(07:05:31) MacGeek: I use a very soft cotton.
(08:58:47) Jim_Pittsburgh: baking soda or tooth paste.... also look at anything that polishes motorcycle windshields or helmet face shields....
(08:59:16) Sir_Thrift-a-Lot: If you have to go deeper you can use a buffer. There are lots of YouTube videos.
(10:06:52) scorpio333: I spent a lot of time detailing cars. Few simple steps. Wash it first, dawn is a great mild degreaser. Then start with the lightest abrasive first, then work up to more aggressive products as needed. Microfiber is the way to go for clothes, but anything that doesn't shed lint or introduce micro scratches is good. Meguiar's makes a few really good products. PlastX is probably the easiest/che​apest most available, commercial product for dust covers. If you really want to get the best results, try the clear plastic cleaner and polish. http://www.​meguiars.com​/en/professi​onal/product​s/#YoYalooGZ​jAiRJHB.97

(10:06:52) scorpio333: I spent a lot of time detailing cars. Few simple steps. Wash it first, dawn is a great mild degreaser. Then start with the lightest abrasive first, then work up to more aggressive products as needed. Microfiber is the way to go for clothes, but anything that doesn't shed lint or introduce micro scratches is good. Meguiar's makes a few really good products. PlastX is probably the easiest/che​apest most available, commercial product for dust covers. If you really want to get the best results, try the clear plastic cleaner and polish. http://www.​meguiars.com​/en/professi​onal/product​s/#YoYalooGZ​jAiRJHB.97
(10:09:59) scorpio333: I would use a buffer as a last resort. If you do try one, you need to be aware they generate a lot of heat. Heat + plastic = OOOPS. Random orbitals generate less heat, but are less common. Be very careful along the edges if you use a buffer.
(10:10:40) scorpio333: Jim makes a good point too, anything made for motorcycle windshields or face shields will work good.
(10:14:16) scorpio333: Prevention is also something to be mentioned. I apply a good coat of wax to mine. Dry wiping dust off these things is the worst things you can do to a cover, the wax helps put a protective barrier on the cover. Use a little water spritz to clean fingerprint​s and dust right off.
(10:18:27) Sir_Thrift-a-Lot: All great info scorpio. I wish you had started a thread rather than shout box where it will disappear soon.
(10:39:26) papabearjew: Thanks everyone. No deep gouges so no buffer necessary