Author Topic: Stylus and record wear  (Read 1981 times)

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Stylus and record wear
« on: February 22, 2017, 06:17:31 PM »
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

OldiesButGoodies

Re: Stylus and record wear
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 07:27:07 PM »
Nice read, thanks for posting.  Has anyone tried one of these digital microscopes to check stylus wear?   

https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-Microscope-Endoscope-Magnifier-TE071/dp/B00N4K22OA/ref=sr_1_2?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1487809354&sr=1-2&keywords=usb+digital+microscope

Can also be used to help set the rake angle.  At that price it is hard to go wrong - could also be useful inspecting solder joints or messing with surface-mount stuff (ick!)

Pepe

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 07:48:26 PM »
I am not sure how well it will work.  It is critical to have light on both sides of the stylus tip to see wear.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 08:34:22 PM »
One vinlyl geek in a forum which name evades me at the moment heaped (some) praise on it.  Describes that he built a jig using a heavy duty rail mounted on a photography tripod with the old version (200x) of this scope attached using velcro at the end of the rail to get it looking at the stylus just right.  He would make fine adjustments x and y with the tripod control. 

The alternative is to use a notebook to mark each hour you listen and assume that things will start going downhill after 1000 hrs so it may be time to mount the backup and sent the cart to The Soundsmith.  Problem with that is that I am notoriously unreliable updating the notebook.

OldiesButGoodies

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 10:09:14 PM »
If you start noticing sibilance on everything, it's probably time for a new stylus.

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 10:20:00 PM »
This thread reminded me that I am scheduled for a colonoscopy in August.
Carl

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 10:26:49 PM »

With this gadget you may be able to DIY the whole thing and save the copay! [assuming you have the ninja skills to identify ulcers, polyps, tumors and similar stuff that could, undetected,  render you pulse-less]
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 10:33:19 PM by OldiesButGoodies »

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 10:31:25 PM »

Don't put it off Carl. Trust me you don't want to!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 11:21:27 PM »

Don't put it off Carl. Trust me you don't want to!

I was laughing until pbj dropped some perspective on us.   I have one of those kits I haven't mailed in yet.   I should get on that.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 08:34:00 AM »
My brother in law had to have them every two years due to colitis. A month ago he went and they found a large mass in his colon. Don't put it off.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 05:17:14 PM »
Not to hijack the thread, but I speak from experience.  For those that don't know me or my battle with cancer.  I was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2010. Surgery and chemo. Spread to pelvis. Several more surgeries. Then it spread to all lobes of the lungs. Can't do surgery or radiation, only chemo. Chemo makes me very sick but with it I get hopefully a few more years. Without chemo only a year or so. I've had 5 major abdominal surgeries and constant surgery since initial diagnosis. I have a 15" scar that causes constant pain. I think you get my point. Colon cancer is one of the more aggressive ones. As they say on TV get this one done!