Author Topic: MOFI rice paper sleeve group buy?  (Read 14493 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: MOFI rice paper sleeve group buy?
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2018, 07:22:21 PM »
So, I was Googling around comparing prices on the MOFI sleeves vs the QRP sleeves, which seem to be the same thing.   However, I found a budget option that I went ahead and ordered and am very pleased with.   

They are rice paper inner sleeves from a company called Check Out Store.   The materials seem to be the exact same as the MOFI or the QRP.   I notice that (for the most fastidious among us) the corners have a slight curl and the rice paper is slightly wrinkled.   To their credit the photo on the link shows both of these issues.   They didn't pick out a prime example, they gave a representative one.   Perhaps they are seconds from whatever factory makes them for MOFI and QRP.   They are very close to identical.

I am using so many that the savings will add up for me.   In the group buys, we were trying to get ten ordered to get them down to $.32 each (as opposed to $.40 each and whatever the shipping charge is).   If you buy a 300 pack from this company, you are paying only $.20 per sleeve.   As the quantity goes up, the cost per gets even lower.
  So, long story short, I don't look to be doing any more group buys.   I will be using these until either the price goes up or the quality goes down.   If anyone wants a couple to try out, message me.

http://www.checkoutstore.com/3-Ply-Rice-Paper-Archival-Quality-Anti-Static-Reco-p/cosrs33rp.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0dHdBRDEARIsAHjZYYA-xBIdXg4OZG2_JNOwFN6IFHKbdnehtZLxQGcn8QcP4D1j0l6F2OwaAr9OEALw_wcB

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2018, 07:31:25 PM »
Oh, and CheckOutStore takes Paypal, which is very useful for me in keeping my "hobby money" separate from my "household money".

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2018, 09:26:50 AM »
Thanks for the info. I’ve been going through mine like crazy lately while doing needle drops. Replacing sleeves as I go.

I found the Flaming Lips Oczy Mlody won’t fit in MOFI or Disc Keeper sleeves. Seems the record is just a bit too wide. Not sure if that’s intentional or what, never had that issue with other records.

I’m wondering how the outer sleeves are from them. I’m hesitant to order outer sleeves without feeling them first. I ordered 50 from somewhere and they’re horrible, super stiff and too big on all sides. I usually just grab some at the Attic, but he doesn’t always have them.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2018, 10:36:16 AM »
The Exchange sells nice outer sleeves for a dime each.   With or without flaps (I prefer without).   I haven't found a better deal on line.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2018, 01:49:47 PM »
The Exchange sells nice outer sleeves for a dime each.   With or without flaps (I prefer without).   I haven't found a better deal on line.

Forgot about that, thanks for the reminder. I don’t like the flaps, sticky tape near jackets is a no no here.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2018, 03:15:54 PM »

Forgot about that, thanks for the reminder. I don’t like the flaps, sticky tape near jackets is a no no here.

IIRC, their flaps don't have adhesive.   I just don't care for the flaps at all, I don't like the way they stick out when shelving the records.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 03:17:29 PM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2018, 05:38:07 PM »
Hey Mark

And I thought you were a Ziploc kind of guy . 

(Just in from a week on Okracoke and missing the island life..)

Mike
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2018, 10:34:47 PM »
Only for large box sets that won't fit in a regular sleeve.