Author Topic: Climbing the Marantz ladder?  (Read 2500 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
Climbing the Marantz ladder?
« on: April 15, 2017, 06:25:41 PM »
I've been doing housework all day while driving my 2230 like I stole it. It's in the living room connected to a pair of Bozak 302's. I've done nothing to this 2230 other than cleaning the insides and out. Most of the day, I've had the volume at around 2 o'clock on the dial. I have absolutely no complaints about the 2230, it has been the best amp/receiver I've had connected to the Bozaks.

Curiosity does set in at times about the higher powered Marantz stuff. Does anyone have any experience comparing 2230 (or similar) to say a 2250 or 2270? There's definitely a higher price to pay for those higher powered units, if that justice worth the squeeze?

bmwr75

Re: Climbing the Marantz ladder?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 07:02:43 PM »
Many say the Marantz 2270 was a sweet spot for their receivers.  I've never heard yours or a 2270 that I know of though.  I have a Marantz 3200 preamp and 140 amp that sound really good.  That may be the same thing as a 2270 in separates form.  Also have the matching 112 tuner.  All going up for sale soon on eBay.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 07:56:09 PM »
2 o'clock into Bozaks must be friggin' loud.   I've never gone past noon into my Hereseys.  Plus, back in the day a Consumer Reports type magazine did a budget receiver shootout and they spec'd the 2230 at 60 WPC, saying it was the most conservatively valued piece they had ever come across.

Nothing but dirt?   Have I ever shown you the before/after pics of my found on the side of the road in Sq Hill 2230?   Almost ten years now my daily driver and I've done nothing top it (though it is past due for another DeOxit bath)...

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 08:03:44 PM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 08:10:03 PM »
I haven't heard a 2270, but of all the vintage Marantz I have heard, I like the 2230 best.   There is a certain sweetness to the sound that borders on magical.

Offline geoffr

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 09:52:40 PM »
Right now my 2230 is hooked up to a pair of Dynaco a25. I alternate those with epi100.
A sweet reciever.
Living room: Fisher 400, Thorens TD124, Arcam CD, Klipsch Heresy
Home office: Scott 222c or Fisher KX-200, Thorens TD124, Marantz CD + Peachtree DAC, Omega 3T desktop speakers and Deep Hemp sub
Basement: Rogue Cronus, Meadowlark Kestrel, Rega P25, Marantz CD

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 10:24:21 PM »
2 o'clock into Bozaks must be friggin' loud.   I've never gone past noon into my Hereseys.  Plus, back in the day a Consumer Reports type magazine did a budget receiver shootout and they spec'd the 2230 at 60 WPC, saying it was the most conservatively valued piece they had ever come across.

Nothing but dirt?   Have I ever shown you the before/after pics of my found on the side of the road in Sq Hill 2230?   Almost ten years now my daily driver and I've done nothing top it (though it is past due for another DeOxit bath)...

Impressive job getting it cleaned up!!

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 08:01:13 AM »
Had a 2270 back in the day....(2220?, 2230 and a 2245?)  thought it was easily the best of the series. Moved onto Yamaha after that... liked the Yamaha sound better  JMHO YRMV lol
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 10:36:10 AM »
bmwr75, you may be right about those matching up to a 2270 in separates form. I don't listen to radio, so I've always been attracted to integrated amps and separates.

STaL, you have shown me those pics before...still amazes me. Yes, 2 o'clock is loud, but I'll bet the Heresy's at 12 would be just as loud. When the girls are home, it rarely gets over 11. The Bozaks aren't nearly as efficient. My 12w tube amp doesn't cut it with the Bozaks, but it easily pushed your Heresy's when you let me borrow them.

geoffr, that combo is like peas n carrots, I've never had either of those speakers, very popular combo.

The 2230 has a smoother, less edgy sound than the Kenwoods I had been using in this spot. My Pioneer 1000TW was overpowering and jagged, but that amp needs updated. I'm likely just keeping the 2230 unless I find a steal of a deal up the ladder.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 07:36:36 PM »
Yes, 2 o'clock is loud, but I'll bet the Heresy's at 12 would be just as loud. When the girls are home, it rarely gets over 11. The Bozaks aren't nearly as efficient. My 12w tube amp doesn't cut it with the Bozaks, but it easily pushed your Heresy's when you let me borrow them.

That makes sense.   I assumed the Bozaks were more sensitive just by virtue of their era.   I had forgotten that I had loaned you The Heresys.   Yeah, 2 o'clock on this setup would make my ears bleed.