Author Topic: Yamaha C-2X preamplifier output issue  (Read 2271 times)

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
Yamaha C-2X preamplifier output issue
« on: June 11, 2017, 11:26:24 AM »
Picked up a used Yamaha preamplifier . Top of the line back in the 80s.  Have seven day return for cash refund option.  Sounds very good but output plugs must be compromised because when I press against inserted RCA jacks, they cut in and out.  Would prefer to keep and get repaired but would appreciate any opinions on this.  Have three days to decide.   Thanks in advance.

Mike
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

bmwr75

Re: Yamaha C-2X preamplifier output issue
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 11:46:02 AM »
If is it just the RCA jacks that need to be resoldered, that should be an easy fix.  Have you opened it up to see how they are attached?  If they are point to point wired it will be easier to fix potentially versus them being attached to a circuit board.

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 04:57:45 PM »
Good observation Scott!

Emperor, does it do the same thing regardless of the input?  If so, then the output RCAs may be an issue as Scott noted.

Does it have a second pair of outputs?
Carl

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 06:53:05 PM »
Before I knew anything, I threw out a HK 330 Twin Power for the same thing.   Now when I think about how easy a fix it is it makes me sad.  :'(

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 07:30:20 AM »
Good observation Scott!

Emperor, does it do the same thing regardless of the input?  If so, then the output RCAs may be an issue as Scott noted.

Does it have a second pair of outputs?

It does have a second pair of outputs.   It did not make a difference which outputs I used with the cables that I had in place.  However I am currently listening using an apparently higher quality set of RCA cables rather than the lighter set that I had been using and so far I am unable to get the channels to cut when I apply light pressure to the inserted jacks.   I am going to swap them out later with the heaviest cables I can locate and test them on both the A and B outs.   I suppose it is possible that the outs are good and that maybe size does matter and they needed better contacts.  it would be nice if that's all it is.    I would prefer not to have to open up the case as its  very heavy and it  might only open from the bottom.  I do not see screws on the top or sides and the screws on the back are all situated around the plugs so must anchors the plates that they are attached to onto the back wall

Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers