Author Topic: pickering phase 44 lre quad cartridge  (Read 2034 times)

Offline non-prophet

• Audio Connoisseur
  • Peace among worlds
pickering phase 44 lre quad cartridge
« on: July 31, 2017, 08:12:12 PM »
I got a table with this quad cartridge in it, with working stylus and another lightly used stylus in case.  I have zero use for a quad cart, no idea how much it's worth.  But, would like to trade for another cartridge. Let me know what you have and maybe it could be yours.
Duntech PCL-400 (Black Knight), KEF 105/3, Snell Type b
Aloia PST 11.1, Terra Song ss-1, Luxman c-1000, Melos MA333
Llano Phoenix CA-300, White Audio Labs A100, (2) Luxman M4000
McIntosh MA230

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: pickering phase 44 lre quad cartridge
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 10:36:18 PM »
Well, since I took your quad receiver, I might as well take your quad cart as well.   I'm across the state right now and will have to let you know when I return.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 08:43:58 AM »
I have a record sleeve for you, that explains all about quad records and cartridges. It was the sleeve for a Miles Davis album I picked up in Oberlin OH this weekend. 
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 11:27:10 AM »
I think I have a  record sleeve or two from Quad Lps that promote quad receivers made by various manufacturers.
Its not hard to figure out that if they had to promote the format that way that it was not catching on naturally (whatever that is) among the general public.
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 05:37:20 PM »
I think I have a  record sleeve or two from Quad Lps that promote quad receivers made by various manufacturers.
Its not hard to figure out that if they had to promote the format that way that it was not catching on naturally (whatever that is) among the general public.

The same sleeves were made for the first stereo records.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 09:26:10 PM »

The same sleeves were made for the first stereo records.

Why did they advertise quad receivers with stereo records? 
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 10:43:41 PM »
What I mean is that when stereo was new they used sleeves to describe the technology, so I don't think it necessarily reflects a need to push a new technology, just a good way pre-internet to get the information out.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 01:48:32 AM »
I have a Phase 44 LRE cartridge too. Got it new when it was first released. The "LRE" stands for Lafayette Radio Electronics. I worked there during high school. We got them dirt cheap from Pickering since we sold them. We sold them with certain new turntables real cheaply as part of a package. I haven't used it since the 70's and at the time I used it briefly on borrowed records. Somehow the stylus guard was lost years ago along with the diamond.