Author Topic: Amusing CL Replies - Post Yours  (Read 3983 times)

Offline MATT0404

• Double Secret Probation!
Amusing CL Replies - Post Yours
« on: September 26, 2017, 12:27:33 PM »
I sell audio gear on CL from time to time (Okay, that might be a bit of an understatement) and usually have pretty good luck.  Items range from low to high dollar, vintage to new, common to collectible, etc.  I usually end up connecting with other audiophiles who share a similar passion for music and the gear that we use to reproduce it.  I value those connections and it's part of what makes this hobby so enjoyable.  Other times, I end up chatting with people who have zero understanding of our passion and just like to send their ramblings.  I found this response to my ad for a pair of Intuitive Design Gamma Summit speakers particularly amusing.  A screenshot of my ad is attached for reference.  The speakers have since sold.

you have money no doubt, selling for 75% less than msrp and raving about the system all along...you on the crack pipe or what ?.....come on, its stolen from a nice cabin deep in the mountains ?
so its a smart system huh, granite speakers, too smart ide say... even for a serious audio geek.
this response is only to give you; the wealthy guy, a chuckle at how fkn ridiculous the whole damn idea is to create such a moronic system out of granite weighing many hundreds of elbows... yeah, we're all impressed.
here, really intrige your friends by YOUR creative wit, make a urinal and bathroom vanity out of it instead of throwing $7500 out with the bath water.
"hey everyone check out jerrys frickin cool bathroom"
sounds way better in more ways than one !
good luck
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ele/6290790560.html

Sent from my iPhone

I look forward to the coming replies to the interconnects I listed today.  :laugh:

So, what stories do you have of your CL encounters?

Offline geoffr

Granite speakers
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 03:59:27 PM »
What an assclown.
Living room: Fisher 400, Thorens TD124, Arcam CD, Klipsch Heresy
Home office: Scott 222c or Fisher KX-200, Thorens TD124, Marantz CD + Peachtree DAC, Omega 3T desktop speakers and Deep Hemp sub
Basement: Rogue Cronus, Meadowlark Kestrel, Rega P25, Marantz CD

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Amusing CL Replies - Post Yours
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 11:24:07 PM »
I've never gotten a good one like that.    :'(

Offline MATT0404

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 06:47:52 AM »
My reply to him was that if the speakers were only made of porcelain instead of granite, I'd put one in each of my guest house bathrooms. :laugh:  I then invited him over for a beer and music...he didn't respond.  And just for the record, I'm not a wealthy man as he implies.  I'm a husband and father of two young children with a modest home (certainly no guest house) and a passion for audio.  Fortunate?  Yes.  Wealthy?  No.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 07:28:42 AM »
Haven't had anything crazier than, "I can get it for less at" emails. If I reply I'll usually send them a permission slip to purchase it from the other place at a cheaper price.

A few years ago our hot tub shorted out due to a leak. It welded the lugs together on the board and I wasn't paying for another board. The tub was here when we bought the house and it was a pain. Knowing how many hot tubs get listed in the free section, I knew it would sit for weeks if not longer. Out came the sawzall and I chopped it into 1' pieces. Piled it all up, took pics and listed it. The ad easily got more responses than any other I've posted. Most were LOL responses. A few wanted me to call them ASAP. I replied to each that I couldn't get to the phone right away, but call me in a bit. I gave each of them one of the other numbers. I doubt they called each other, but it did amuse my mind for a few minutes thinking how that might have played out. Then it happened, a profanity filled 'you so dumb' email. The poor sap used an email address with his real name in it. Quick google search found the guy on a family owned construction company bio page, complete with email and general family info. I responded with "you think your wife, Denise, would be proud that you're trolling ads on craigslist?" and he went nuts wondering how I knew who he was. It went back and forth a couple times, then the ad got flagged and I quit.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 01:42:22 PM »
What a hoot.  I don't have any good CL stories, but that may be a good thing.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline MATT0404

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 02:09:31 PM »
Haven't had anything crazier than, "I can get it for less at" emails. If I reply I'll usually send them a permission slip to purchase it from the other place at a cheaper price.

A few years ago our hot tub shorted out due to a leak. It welded the lugs together on the board and I wasn't paying for another board. The tub was here when we bought the house and it was a pain. Knowing how many hot tubs get listed in the free section, I knew it would sit for weeks if not longer. Out came the sawzall and I chopped it into 1' pieces. Piled it all up, took pics and listed it. The ad easily got more responses than any other I've posted. Most were LOL responses. A few wanted me to call them ASAP. I replied to each that I couldn't get to the phone right away, but call me in a bit. I gave each of them one of the other numbers. I doubt they called each other, but it did amuse my mind for a few minutes thinking how that might have played out. Then it happened, a profanity filled 'you so dumb' email. The poor sap used an email address with his real name in it. Quick google search found the guy on a family owned construction company bio page, complete with email and general family info. I responded with "you think your wife, Denise, would be proud that you're trolling ads on craigslist?" and he went nuts wondering how I knew who he was. It went back and forth a couple times, then the ad got flagged and I quit.

Haha!  This is great.  I can only imagine the confusing phone calls that followed.  :laugh:

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 08:03:09 PM »
Too funny, what a sad but funny reply.

Separate question for you, is that a Jeff Rowland amp powering those Summits?
Carl

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 09:27:26 PM »
Truthfully, it is the kind of response I could see myself giving when I was in my 20's.   It takes a long time to learn contentment instead of resentment.   Do I still think there are better things to do with that kind of money?   Sure.   Do I still judge people who have different priorities than me?   I hope not, I try not to.   Kudos to MATT for his generous and measured reply.

OTOH, I was thoroughly amused by scorpio's post.

Offline MATT0404

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 10:01:26 PM »
Too funny, what a sad but funny reply.

Separate question for you, is that a Jeff Rowland amp powering those Summits?
[/quote
I got a kick out of it.  Yes, the Jeff Rowland is a Model 112 and it was powering the Gamma Summits.  They were surprisingly power hungry speakers.  I just palletized the Gamma Summits tonight and they're off to Long Island tomorrow.

]
Truthfully, it is the kind of response I could see myself giving when I was in my 20's.   It takes a long time to learn contentment instead of resentment.   Do I still think there are better things to do with that kind of money?   Sure.   Do I still judge people who have different priorities than me?   I hope not, I try not to.   Kudos to MATT for his generous and measured reply.

OTOH, I was thoroughly amused by scorpio's post.
I seem to have amassed an "audio account" of sorts.  It's a revolving account; try new gear, sell old gear, or something like that.  I sometimes buy more than I sell, and sometimes sell more than I buy.  As long as I buy smart, it's usually easily liquidated as needed.  Except for this time of the year apparently, It's a buyer's market.

Scorpio's post had me lol'ing!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 10:27:12 PM »
That's how I have gone from very modest to halfway decent with little to no money.   I have also assembled a killer (if I do say so myself) record collection and made money from it the whole time.

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 06:22:19 AM »

Amazing!  Bravo!
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 07:39:15 PM »

#AWESOME