General Banter > Welcome Wagon

New member in Pittsburgh

(1/4) > >>

rowedscholar:
Hey folks,
I'm a new member here. Way back in college I got bit by the audiophile bug and for a few years was really into building a system. I ended up with a Belles One amp. Theta tube pre-amp (which I purchased second hand from the now defunct Opus One that used to be on Smithfield street in Pittsburgh for those of you old enough to remember that, Spica speakers with updated drivers, a nakamichi cd changer and my pride and joy, a Linn Sondek LP-12. Then life happened (job, wife, kids, more school, divorce, ex-wife) and my audiophile passions withered away. Well I'm back baby and I'm interested in trying to rebuild a great system. Unfortunately, between storage and my kids, the LP-12 doesn't work anymore. I still have a lot of my old vinyl collection (opera, classical vocal, choral, symphonic and jazz vocalists) and want to start listening to it again. I'd really love to get my LP-12 refurbished so any advice or guidance on who might be best to do that is appreciated.

MacGeek:
Welcome, Rowedscholar.  I am sure someone on this forum can either help with your turntable or direct you to someone who can.  That was a nice rig you had back in the day and I do remember Opus One (I worked about two blocks away in the Grant building at the time)

What type of music do you enjoy?

Jim Pittsburgh:
welcome.... had a similar history and this group was instrumental in getting me back into the audiophile world. Nice people here! Lot's of knowledge. Look forward to meeting you.  If you ever get down south of the city, Peters Twp area, your're welcome to stop by for a listen.

scorpio333:
Welcome. Always hear great things about Linn LP12's. Never saw one in the wild yet. Start a thread with the problems/issues you're having and maybe someone can help. If the table hasn't been used in a number of years it will definitely need the mechanics cleaned and regressed, old grease can bring great tables to their knees. Vince at Galaxy Electronics may be a resource to help out as well.

Sir Thrift-a-Lot:
What specifically is wrong with the table?   I haven't found anyone here who I trust any more than I trust my own tinkering.   The last time I had an issue with a table that I couldn't handle I ended up taking it to Brooklyn.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version