Author Topic: New member in Pittsburgh  (Read 6998 times)

Offline rowedscholar

• FNG !!!
New member in Pittsburgh
« on: October 22, 2017, 02:49:21 PM »
Hey folks,
I'm a new member here. Way back in college I got bit by the audiophile bug and for a few years was really into building a system. I ended up with a Belles One amp. Theta tube pre-amp (which I purchased second hand from the now defunct Opus One that used to be on Smithfield street in Pittsburgh for those of you old enough to remember that, Spica speakers with updated drivers, a nakamichi cd changer and my pride and joy, a Linn Sondek LP-12. Then life happened (job, wife, kids, more school, divorce, ex-wife) and my audiophile passions withered away. Well I'm back baby and I'm interested in trying to rebuild a great system. Unfortunately, between storage and my kids, the LP-12 doesn't work anymore. I still have a lot of my old vinyl collection (opera, classical vocal, choral, symphonic and jazz vocalists) and want to start listening to it again. I'd really love to get my LP-12 refurbished so any advice or guidance on who might be best to do that is appreciated.

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: New member in Pittsburgh
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 05:16:18 PM »
Welcome, Rowedscholar.  I am sure someone on this forum can either help with your turntable or direct you to someone who can.  That was a nice rig you had back in the day and I do remember Opus One (I worked about two blocks away in the Grant building at the time)

What type of music do you enjoy?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 07:51:38 PM »
welcome.... had a similar history and this group was instrumental in getting me back into the audiophile world. Nice people here! Lot's of knowledge. Look forward to meeting you.  If you ever get down south of the city, Peters Twp area, your're welcome to stop by for a listen.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 08:48:49 PM »
Welcome. Always hear great things about Linn LP12's. Never saw one in the wild yet. Start a thread with the problems/issues you're having and maybe someone can help. If the table hasn't been used in a number of years it will definitely need the mechanics cleaned and regressed, old grease can bring great tables to their knees. Vince at Galaxy Electronics may be a resource to help out as well.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 08:50:49 PM »
What specifically is wrong with the table?   I haven't found anyone here who I trust any more than I trust my own tinkering.   The last time I had an issue with a table that I couldn't handle I ended up taking it to Brooklyn.

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 10:31:32 PM »
Welcome to the Forum!

Your story is told over and over again here and there.  A place that was actually in Wilmerding, PA that moved to North Carolina I believe use to do repairs on Linn tables.  They also did all the upgrades.  Their website is: http://www.britaudio.com/home.html

Send them an email and inquire about a repair and maybe an upgrade.  Good luck!
Carl

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 06:34:53 AM »
Welcome! Glad to hear your audio “flame” has been revived.
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline rowedscholar

• FNG !!!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 09:52:46 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'm mostly an operaholic, but also love classical music in general. I sang in a lot of choirs through my life and listen to a lot of the choral as well as the symphonic repertoire. I also love the interpreters of the great american songbook from Sinatra to Buble. As far as the LP-12 goes, right now it doesn't even turn or. The light on the on button doesn't come on when plugged in and the motor doesn't drive the wheel. I wish I were confident with my own tinkering, but haven't ever gotten that deep into the audiophile obsession--which is partly why I'm here: to learn from guys who know a lot more and get more confident so I can venture in and open up one of these classic beauties and see what's inside.

Offline rowedscholar

• FNG !!!
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 10:17:03 PM »
Welcome to the Forum!

Your story is told over and over again here and there.  A place that was actually in Wilmerding, PA that moved to North Carolina I believe use to do repairs on Linn tables.  They also did all the upgrades.  Their website is: http://www.britaudio.com/home.html

Send them an email and inquire about a repair and maybe an upgrade.  Good luck!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 11:50:16 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'm mostly an operaholic, but also love classical music in general.

About time we had an opera lover here.   A hundred years ago I was an opera major at Boston Conservatory.   A high lyric tenor who in my 20s had a money C and most days could go full voice to D or Eb with no issue.   Pavarotti was my hero and I definitely spent most of my time in the Italian Bel Canto repertoire.   These days I sing in church and am only money up at an A (father time catches up to everyone but Nicolai Gedda).   Some days I still have a C, but it's not reliable.   I'm not nearly as well versed in non-vocal classical music, but in my defense I've also spent much of my life playing bass and singing high harmonies in bar bands, so I have a lot of the rock/blues/country stuff down too.   Do you still sing in chorales?   Where?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 11:51:36 PM »
As far as the LP-12 goes, right now it doesn't even turn or. The light on the on button doesn't come on when plugged in and the motor doesn't drive the wheel.

That could be as simple as a blown fuse or a desoldered wire.   I'd be happy to help you have a look at it if you like.

Offline rowedscholar

• FNG !!!
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 09:24:17 PM »
I no longer sing unfortunately. I stopped singing in the Bach Choir of Pittsburgh when they got a new conductor about 15 years ago and the repertoire took a decidedly modern and un-Bach-ian turn. I am impressed at your range Sir-Thrift-a-Lot. I always sang first tenor and never really struggled with the passagio either, but just as my joints and mental faculties have stiffened and are less flexible than they once were, so too have my vocal chords. My daughter is a senior in high school and we just decided we are going to start taking voice lessons this fall. She is very interested in and performs in a lot of musical theater as did I at her age. I'm hoping with a little practice, some of the vocal flexibility will return. It is very kind of you to offer to troubleshoot the LP-12. I contacted britaudio as suggested by schwarcw, but they do not repair, only re-fit/re-wire new tonearms. I did find a place in the UK which totally refurbishes and upgrades LP-12's but it is a daunting process to drop $1000 to have it brought back to life. I will definitely take you up on your offer at your convenience and may ultimately become your best paying customer.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 10:20:31 PM »
I will definitely take you up on your offer at your convenience and may ultimately become your best paying customer.

I wouldn't dream of taking money for my tinkering.   I don't even promise that I can help, but I do promise not to break anything worse than it already is.   What part of town are you in?

Offline rowedscholar

• FNG !!!
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 08:25:41 AM »
I live in Oakland near CMU. But I do work up in Kittaning, Beaver, New Castle, Cannonsburg...in short I get around so I'm not afraid of a little drive. I've never done any tinkering myself but I'm definitely interested in experimenting. I'm not particularly talented in that area and have always been fearful to try. I'm sure its just because I don't know much about electronics and I'm intimidated by what I don't understand so I'd love to learn by watching then doing (in medicine we have a saying-see one, do one, teach one). Thanks again for your offer.
-Craig

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 08:37:07 AM »
Sure.   I'm in Penn Hills and I work as an x-ray tech.