Author Topic: La Scala's  (Read 3631 times)

Offline rowedscholar

• FNG !!!
La Scala's
« on: January 01, 2018, 10:59:56 AM »
La Scala's preferably with a mod or two in acceptable cosmetic condition (performance must be better than just acceptable). Price I'm willing to pay dependent on condition but absolute upper limit of $1800. Willing to travel 5-6 hours to pick up if necessary.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: La Scala's
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 11:10:36 AM »
FWIW, I don't think that LaScalas require mods to be outstanding.

I spent a lot of time with several pair of stock LaScalas when I worked for the AV Dept at Boston Conservatory (work study job).   I'm of the opinion that many folks who scream mod are simply using them in a room which is too small for them.   You have to be at least 10 feet back before the horns blend.   Any closer and you are hearing individual beams rather than one integrated speaker.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 11:16:24 AM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

Offline rowedscholar

• FNG !!!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 01:31:23 PM »
STAL,
 I have read that the Al Klappenberger crossover modification is pretty impressive.  I guess I should have said "preferably serviced recently and up to spec" rather than requiring modifications. There are definitely some modifications that I wouldn't want, after all I want to buy La Scala's not a clone. The ALK modification is one  I would be willing to pay for and wouldn't mind if that were reflected in the price. And vintage La Scala's would be perfectly fine as long as they are fully functioning and serviced. I will have a 14 x 24 listening room. My listening position will probably be (with speakers 10 feet apart) will likely be between 10 to 12 feet away from them. It might be better to have more than 12 feet between the two but that's what I've got to work with. I think in terms of room size my biggest limitation will be the 8 foot ceilings.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 02:48:49 PM »
I think in terms of room size my biggest limitation will be the 8 foot ceilings.

Mine too (as you saw).

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 09:57:21 AM »
Good luck with the search i'll keep an eye out too, as I routinely search "klipsch" just to see whats out there and what it's going for.
I've had forte II's for about 4 years now, and while not LaScalas, they do share some similar qualities.  The pair I bought had titanium tweeters and updated crossovers (crites).  I've used high power solid-state as well as low powered tube amps, both with good results just a different presentation.  I do tend to prefer a tube amp with these, it just makes them more holographic/3-D, but that is not to say a SS counterpart couldn't do the same.  Synergy plays an important role w/ these, more often that not meaning mellower components upstream (for me).

I have other speakers as well, and quite honestly they do some things better - like imaging, bass control, timing.
 The one thing though that continually strikes me about Klipsch speakers is their midrange and treble detail.  A lot of times where other speakers tend to shove things like background vocals/keyboards/cymbal decay/ext too far back in the mix to my ears, klipsch tends to bring it to the limelight.  This can also equate exaggerating certain passages too. To me they are just more "live" sounding and fun! 

Have you had LaScala in the past?  If so, what kind of amplification do you use? What were your experiences?

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 09:59:07 AM by RocknRoll »

Offline rowedscholar

• FNG !!!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 10:46:46 AM »
I have Forte II's as well and really love the sound they produce with my Scott 299c tube amp. I recently bought a pair of HeathKit w5m tube amps which I'm hoping to use as Monoblocks along with a theta tube pre-amp I have from my original system fro 1986. I listen mostly to opera and classical vocal music and really love the midrange and the clarity and warmth (a unique combo as I usually assume one sacrifices warmth for clarity and in the extreme one ends up with an extremely clear but also with a cold lifeless sound). I have a pair of spica TC-50's that definitely produce a livelier and more distinct  sound stage but the quality of the voice production can't match the warmth of the Forte's. I've heard that the La Scala's do everything the Fortes do only better and I'm excited to hear what that might sound like give I love the tube/forte combination so much.

I appreciate that you will keep an eye out for a pair as I don't have much time to be looking  and would appreciate any lead you could offer!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 12:45:52 PM »
I've heard that the La Scala's do everything the Fortes do only better and I'm excited to hear what that might sound like give I love the tube/forte combination so much.

When this happens can I come over and hear it?   I liked LaScalas with SS but really want to hear them with tubes.

Offline rowedscholar

• FNG !!!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 05:19:47 PM »
Absolutely, but let's find the La Sala's first!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 10:13:43 PM »
Sometimes I live vicariously through others.   I will certainly keep my eyes open.