Author Topic: Amazon Fire Stick and Plex for audio streaming  (Read 9291 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Amazon Fire Stick and Plex for audio streaming
« on: January 01, 2018, 11:21:55 PM »
My wife has a Prime account so I am thinking of getting a Fire Stick so the boy can watch Nick Jr stuff which is free with Prime. However, I'm thinking maybe there may be something in it for Dad too. So I have a couple questions...

My main PC (the one with all of my audio files) is hooked up by ethernet to my wireless modem (the one from the cable company). Will I be able to stream WAVs, FLACs, MP3s etc. from this wired computer to the stick? How about .ts video files?

Will there be any bitrate conversion inherent in the stream or will it all be native?

Will 4.0 (quad) or 5.1 WAVs/FLACs stream with all channels in tact? Thanks.

bearjew

Re: Amazon Fire Stick and Plex for audio streaming
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 10:40:15 AM »
you should have no problem streaming anything PCM.  Obviously, DSD is probably a no-go.  Not sure about .ts files, but I feel like that's something that should work.

Nothing should have to convert in theory.  Assuming you're using the optical out on the TV to go into your stereo, it should move quad and 5.1 right through to the surround receiver.  This is all in theory though; I didn't spend a lot of time with any of the Fire TV equipment.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 10:52:25 AM »
I'm not running any sound out of the TV.   I have everything in the HDMI inputs of the receiver.   I'm also thinking that if I come across one of the Oppo BDP-103/105 or similar that I would plug the Fire stick into it to take advantage of the upscaling.

Offline Comten

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 08:00:00 AM »
Firestick will allow for Kodi and TubiTV to name a couple plus Youtube. Haven't tried connecting a Firestick into an HDMI port on my loaner Onkyo AVR. Would be a good experiment.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 08:37:20 AM »
Firestick will allow for Kodi and TubiTV to name a couple plus Youtube. Haven't tried connecting a Firestick into an HDMI port on my loaner Onkyo AVR. Would be a good experiment.

If you do, please post the results.

Offline Comten

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 07:20:09 AM »
Figured that I'd attach the Firestick to the Onkyo as just another HDMI device but discovered that I cannot as the AVR has no USB port - the Firestick uses an attached USB cable to power it...

Otherwise, I could not see why it wouldn't work...

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 07:32:23 AM »
Figured that I'd attach the Firestick to the Onkyo as just another HDMI device but discovered that I cannot as the AVR has no USB port - the Firestick uses an attached USB cable to power it...

It would work,  that is how I use it.  Just power it from a USB cube connected to the wall.  They consume very little power,  can be left on.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 10:47:02 AM »
I just got set up with Plex and it seems to be sending hi res files natively, but it will only do two channel.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 11:30:23 AM »
Mine came with a wall box.   I tried using the USB on my cable box, but it gave an error that it didn't have enough power.

Offline Comten

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 07:57:09 AM »

FINALLY tried the Firestick in an HDMI port on the Onkyo - the Onkyo supports HDMI switching between the FIOS "cable box" and Sony Blu-ray, but would not "find" the HDMI port with the Firestick.

I guess I could run the F'stick navtive into the TV and use the fiber-link back to the Onkyo (which I use to send audio to Onkyo when I feel like watching an old VHS taped episode of "The It's Alive Show!"...)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 08:17:48 AM »
That sounds like a handshake issue.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 12:40:07 PM »

FINALLY tried the Firestick in an HDMI port on the Onkyo - the Onkyo supports HDMI switching between the FIOS "cable box" and Sony Blu-ray, but would not "find" the HDMI port with the Firestick.

I guess I could run the F'stick navtive into the TV and use the fiber-link back to the Onkyo (which I use to send audio to Onkyo when I feel like watching an old VHS taped episode of "The It's Alive Show!"...)

This is perplexing.  Are you using the same power source to charge the Firestick when connected to the TV and the AVR?  The Firestick is very picky about USB power.  Even if that were causing the issue, you would get at least the Amazon logo before it pooped out. Is the Onkyo HDMI switching set to send the HDMI signal straight thru or is it upscaling the signal or something similar?  If so try to set it to straight through.  Also - can you check what firmware the Firestick is running by drilling into the menu Settings > Device > About?  Update it to the latest to make sure any handshaking bugs have been repaired.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 12:23:22 AM »
Well, I've been using the Firestick/Plex combo for a while and all I can say is that I'm not impressed.   I notice some "choppiness" in the image when playing 1080 .ts files from my computer.   The sound is even worse.   I have it set to play the native stream rather than resampling, but some things just refuse to sound right.

I've reached the conclusion that the only thing that is going to do everything I want at a level to suit me is a media PC.   Good thing I have lots of computer parts kicking around.

bearjew

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 07:19:56 AM »
Well, I've been using the Firestick/Plex combo for a while and all I can say is that I'm not impressed.   I notice some "choppiness" in the image when playing 1080 .ts files from my computer.   The sound is even worse.   I have it set to play the native stream rather than resampling, but some things just refuse to sound right.

I've reached the conclusion that the only thing that is going to do everything I want at a level to suit me is a media PC.   Good thing I have lots of computer parts kicking around.

For what it's worth, I have seen a few Fire TV's do their stuff, and it wasn't choppy.  It may be a "necessary evil" of the form factor, but at the same time, I've seen good results from a Pi3.  But I agree, a real computer is hard to beat.  Especially with the advent of the Intel NUC.  We use them at work, and they have no issue handling as many as 4 or 6 1080p streams at 5mbps each (which is REALLY high bandwidth, technically).  Given, the NUC is more expensive (you can get a decent one used at around 180), but it's a powerful machine.  Another option may be the Chromecast 4k.  I had the original Chromecast and loved it... until my brother stole it like 5 years ago.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 11:34:41 AM »
I don't think the Chromecast 4k will play six channels of HD audio.