Author Topic: Considering a receiver  (Read 4979 times)

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Considering a receiver
« on: April 04, 2018, 08:09:36 PM »
I may be in need of a medium power (100w/ch +/-), high quality full featured 5.1 channel home theater receiver.  New or recently used is acceptable.  It needs to be able to handle 4k switching, but doesn't need a gang of inputs-a couple of HDMI and a few high level audio/base band video will suffice.  It doesn't need two zone capabilities either.

Does anyone have a favorite, or a suggestion?  I am aware of Denon and Marantz, but haven't kept up with the rest (I don't read the A/V rags).  I have always had A/V separates, so this is a new adventure for me.  Reliability and ease of use are as important as anything else; this is for a family room TV to generally be operated by everyone but me.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: Considering a receiver
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 12:10:11 AM »
If you want ease of use, steer away from Denon.   I love the sound of mine, but have to wrestle with it from time to time.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 07:18:57 AM »
I've had very good luck with Marantz.... currently running them in both systems. Good time to buy since they are just rolling out new models. Check out accessories4less.com   nice people to deal with.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 04:40:51 PM »
I've got an older Denon where the menu is just unbearable, VCR's had better on screen menus. Our few year old Marantz 1602 is worlds better, but still frustrating. I believe that Marantz shares the same firmware as some Denons. Not sure how their latest receivers are menu wise. The 1602 is low power, but has a nice sound, it's on the girls' tv.

I got a Yamaha RX-V681 a year or so ago. Menu is much simpler. Doesn't have Audyssey, but does have YPAO which only takes one measurement. Sounds fairly neutral and balanced and does what it is supposed to do. For me, I wanted 4K passthrough, with the thinking the TV should handle that better than a HTR. I watch a combination of Apple TV, Blu Ray and Fios. I'd be much happier if more channels broadcast in at least 5.1. Some programs that are in 2 channel sound strange in 7.1, but going back to 2.1 sounds so tiny.

I can say Jim's Marantz (and speakers) put you IN the car crashes.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 06:02:40 PM »
Thanks all for the feedback.  It seems Denon will be too frustrating for family and there may be a slight trade off in sound vs simplicity between Marantz and Yamaha.  I believe Marantz is owned by the group that owns McIntosh.  If go, is there any technology tricks down?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 06:59:47 PM »
Thanks all for the feedback.  It seems Denon will be too frustrating for family and there may be a slight trade off in sound vs simplicity between Marantz and Yamaha.  I believe Marantz is owned by the group that owns McIntosh.  If go, is there any technology tricks down?

No.   Marantz and Denon are actually both owned by Sound United, but it seems at least so far that the R&D departments have been kept separate.   McIntosh still owns McIntosh.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 07:01:32 PM »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 12:27:26 AM »
Mac, did you end up pulling the trigger on anything?   I'm looking to kick the Denon to the curb (love the sound, hate everything else) and am considering Onkyo.   I've never used one of their HT amps, but their stereo stuff has a "signature sound" which is bright and clear and I think it may give my Rock Solid speakers just that bit of extra sparkle that they lack.   

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 06:24:31 AM »
Hi Mark.  Thanks for thinking about me.

My need was based on a move we are making from the North to the South hills.  As it turns out, the house we bought and are rehabbing, will allow me to install the same HT gear I have in my current home.  The family room  in the new house has a similar layout as the old one, so I do not need to swap gear, for the time being.

I am not sure how my office will be configured, however, so future needs are yet to be determined and I am not sure if it will be two channel, as present, or surround.