Author Topic: Temporary shout box.  (Read 16115 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Audio Connoisseur
  • got mule?
Re: Temporary shout box.
« Reply #420 on: January 04, 2019, 09:49:52 AM »
The Exchange just reloaded their clearance vinyl sections.   I almost bought the Warren Haynes/Railroad Earth a couple of times for $32.   Today it was a no brainer for $16.   They have lots of the recent Rush and Neil Young reissues (all reported to be excellent) at similar savings.

Passed the info on to Rush fan friend. Great deal on that Warren Haynes and it’s a great album.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #421 on: January 04, 2019, 10:10:33 AM »
They had a couple Govt Mule as well, but I don't know which of their albums are great and which are just catalog filler.   I get the impression that there is some of each to be had from them.   That's a rabbit hole I've avoided thus far, but I don't see how I can hold it off much longer when I am such a fan of Warren.   Are there one or two that you would cal stone cold classics, a cut above the rest of their output?

Offline scorpio333

• Audio Connoisseur
  • got mule?
« Reply #422 on: January 04, 2019, 12:55:39 PM »
They had a couple Govt Mule as well, but I don't know which of their albums are great and which are just catalog filler.   I get the impression that there is some of each to be had from them.   That's a rabbit hole I've avoided thus far, but I don't see how I can hold it off much longer when I am such a fan of Warren.   Are there one or two that you would cal stone cold classics, a cut above the rest of their output?

I would avoid recommending Dub Side of the Mule, Dark Side of the Mule, and Stoned side of the Mule. Dub side is interesting if you like reggae. The others are live versions of Floyd and the Stones. I suspect those are what they have in the clearance section. Jazz fans might like Sco Mule, a collaboration between John Scofield and GM. I'd say these are mostly filler.

As far as Gov't Mule studio albums...I love the trio version of the band on the first three albums - self titled, Dose, and Life Before Insanity. Dose is over $100, the other two are available on Music on Vinyl, both very well done. These are the more bass heavy, rockin albums.

Deja Voodoo adds a new bassist and keyboardist after Allen Woody's death, it's on MOV as well. The next two, are insane expensive - High and Mighty and Mighty High ($150-200 each).

another new bassist for By a Thread. Pretty sure you can find this one for $20 or less, likely their most mainstream release. Shout and Revolution Come...Revolution Go are ok, not what I would recommend for starters.

The Tel Star Sessions (released between Shout and Revolution) may be the single best one to own, it was recorded live in the studio as a demo. Raw and punchy.

Hard to pick just one or two out of the bunch, they've covered a lot of ground in almost 30 years. I think over the years Warren has got more refined and perhaps less raw.

It's a huge rabbit hole...there's more Warren solo and his work with the Allman Bros. Where it All Begins is where I first heard Warren and perhaps one of my overall favorite albums.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #423 on: January 04, 2019, 06:13:43 PM »
Where it all Begins is on my short list.   Has been for a while.   Looks like Life Before Insanity will have to get added to that list.   That or one of the live ones if I come across one.

Offline RocknRoll

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #424 on: January 07, 2019, 02:16:17 PM »
Anybody else concerned that the first photo is of the cartridge resting directly on the stylus?

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ele/d/pittsburgh-shure-m95g-vintage-cartridge/6789177259.html

Offline scorpio333

• Audio Connoisseur
  • got mule?
« Reply #425 on: January 07, 2019, 02:38:55 PM »
Yes, however that stylus is the lowest on the totem pole for that cart so it would t be a great loss. If it were an ED or minty HI Track, that would be a real shame.

I’ve got a few M95’s and like them. The ED stylus is the best bang for the buck, the SAS is slightly better but the cost now makes it a bit unrealistic.

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #426 on: January 07, 2019, 03:53:11 PM »
Me thinks owner is checking to see if tip is diamond...  He/she is trying to cut glass to verify...  :)
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline EmperorNorton

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #427 on: January 07, 2019, 06:54:31 PM »
Me thinks owner is checking to see if tip is diamond...  He/she is trying to cut glass to verify...  :)

I'll have to keep cart handy this spring when I replace a couple windows.
Yamaha PF800/Dual 721
DBX D5/Sony CA8ES
Yamaha C-2X
Hafler Five Hundred/Sansui AU9500/Heathkit SA-2/Parasound HC-1000
Canton CT800s/Vandersteen 2CE/Klipsch Heresy/Dahlquist DQ-10

Offline scorpio333

• Audio Connoisseur
  • got mule?
« Reply #428 on: January 07, 2019, 10:00:00 PM »

I'll have to keep cart handy this spring when I replace a couple windows.

Refrain from using a nude shank unless you got curtains up!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #429 on: January 17, 2019, 12:20:06 AM »
Somebody saw an article in USA Today that said records are hot again...

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/clt/d/elderton-vinyl-record-collection-outlaws/6796858969.html

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/clt/d/elderton-large-vinyl-record-collection/6796859615.html

If he was a little closer I'd be tempted to go rifle through and pick out the good stuff.   It takes one heck of a pile of Outlaws records (no disrespect intended, they were a great band) to get to $250.

Offline RocknRoll

• Audio Geek!

Offline OldiesButGoodies

• Administrator
  • Be nice, it is free!

Spkr: Harbeth 30.1 on Sound Anchor stands
Pre: Rogue 99 Super Magnum
Power:  Rogue Stereo 90 Super Magnum
Phono: VPI Aries 1,  Denon 103R
CD: Oppo 203
Sub: Rhythmik FV15HP

Offline EmperorNorton

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #432 on: January 18, 2019, 05:11:37 PM »
That reminds me that I need to put the Hafler 500 back in the system and listen to the DQ10s with twice the power that I'm getting from my Parasound HCA 1000
Yamaha PF800/Dual 721
DBX D5/Sony CA8ES
Yamaha C-2X
Hafler Five Hundred/Sansui AU9500/Heathkit SA-2/Parasound HC-1000
Canton CT800s/Vandersteen 2CE/Klipsch Heresy/Dahlquist DQ-10

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #433 on: January 18, 2019, 06:34:10 PM »
More power is good!
MAC C-46 pre, MQ 108 eq, MC 352 amps (2), MR 78 tuner, MCD 500 CD, MPI-4 scope, LS 352 speakers, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, Tandberg 10X

Offline MacGeek

MAC C-46 pre, MQ 108 eq, MC 352 amps (2), MR 78 tuner, MCD 500 CD, MPI-4 scope, LS 352 speakers, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, Tandberg 10X