Author Topic: Trying to understand what I have  (Read 3755 times)

Offline elcee

• FNG !!!
Trying to understand what I have
« on: May 31, 2018, 08:14:22 AM »
I have equipment from my dad and am trying to get a sense for what it's worth....is this a place I can do that and if so, is the best way just to post pictures and have members give me their thoughts?  Appreciate any help you can give me - my dad's been gone now for almost 30 years and we just closed down their home when we moved my mom to assisted living so the equipment is obviously older.  What I have includes:

JBL speakers
Denon CD player
Onkyo tape player
Kenwood receiver
Some type of tube unit

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
Re: Trying to understand what I have
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 08:36:02 AM »
members here are very knowledgeable and helpful.  However little can be done without knowing exact model numbers, and pics showing condition would also be very helpful.  The info you listed was basically no different than saying " Ford car for sale" 
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 08:36:13 AM »
members here are very knowledgeable and helpful.  However little can be done without knowing exact model numbers, and pics showing condition would also be very helpful.  The info you listed was basically no different than saying " Ford car for sale" 
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 09:43:14 AM »
"elcee"
It is also not a bad idea to post a little more info about yourself to introduce yourself...  Sorry to hear about your dad & I am am in the exact same situation regarding my mom recently going into an assisted living home...

What area are you from?  I am from Penn Hills...

Like Jim stated, need specific model numbers, condition, pictures, etc.

Welcome...  Hope you are able to sell/keep/restore the items in question...

George
(aka gdv)
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 09:45:17 AM »
Pictures are always best...  :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 09:53:28 AM by gdv »
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 11:51:26 AM »
If you can't find model numbers, we will need pics of the speakers with grills on, grills off and a back photo where the wires connect.   At least front and back photos of everything else.

JBL speakers is a good start though.   They made lots of great speakers and even their more pedestrian stuff tends to sell just based on the brand name.

Offline elcee

• FNG !!!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 03:44:17 PM »
Thanks to all for your thoughts.  I was not trying to get folks to give me info from what I first posted - really was just trying to see whether going to the next step (lots of pix, model numbers, etc) was worth the time and the right next move.  That will be what you see from me next.

In re: intro - I live north of Cincinnati, OH and my parents both immigrated from Germany right before/during WWII.  My dad loved his stereo and had scads of classical music tapes and CD's - he would put on his headphones (or sometimes not!) and that was his happy place.  His idea of humor was waking us up with the 1812 overture turned up full blast!!  He contracted colon cancer in 1977 and lived thru four bouts of it until he passed in 1989, when his first grandchild was 1.  My mom lived in that house until two years ago and now lives in an assisted living apartment nearby to me....she is 89.

I will post pictures and model numbers and await your insightful perspective....thanks!!

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 04:19:04 PM »
Do you have a similar interest in music?  I couldn't think of a cooler way to honor your dad than to restore those pieces and enjoy the heck out of them!

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 12:02:20 AM »
His idea of humor was waking us up with the 1812 overture turned up full blast!!

Yes! This is on my list, just waiting for the right time. Sorry to hear about your dad.

My dad had an Onkyo tape player back around 80, I don't think I've come across a worse piece of equipment, goofy clear buttons that failed early on. Hopefully that's not what you have.