Author Topic: Sony or Denon TT  (Read 2371 times)

Offline Vpgh

• Double Secret Probation!
Sony or Denon TT
« on: June 05, 2018, 04:44:08 PM »
Hi everyone,
I have 2 TT : Sony PS-4750 and Denon DP-35F. Both of them are direct drive and in a good working order. I need to get rid one TT to have more space for other audio stuff/project. Any opinion which one is better in terms sound quality, reliability, etc.?
Thanks

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
Re: Sony or Denon TT
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 04:57:41 PM »
I am not familiar with either of those models...  But from what I know about turntables, I would chose the Denon over the Sony any day...  What cartridges are in each turntable?

George

5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 06:02:33 PM »
Not familiar either of them. If I was pressed to give an answer, I'd keep the Denon. Sony has let me down too many times over the years. Seems both of those are on the rarer side nowadays. Getting parts for either could be costly. If you can only keep one, I'd go with the better sounding table/cartridge combo.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 06:07:59 PM »
As a rule Denon over Sony, but that is one of Sony's better tables vs one of Denon's more modest ones.   For me I would choose the Sony because the big S-shaped arm is a much better compliance match to the AT carts I like to run.   If you happen to be partial to old Ortofons, then the tiny, ultra light arm on the Denon would be your choice.   You really can't go wrong with either.   I do believe that if the Denon breaks though, there are some unobtanium ICs in the circuit.   I don't believe that is an issue with the Sony.

I had that Denon and put it in a give away system but probably should have flipped it.   They are worth a bit more now than they were ten years ago and if I came across another I wouldn't hesitate to flip it.   The common assumption that Denon > Sony makes it a much easier sell even if it's not a better table.

Offline Vpgh

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 07:00:18 PM »
I am not familiar with either of those models...  But from what I know about turntables, I would chose the Denon over the Sony any day...  What cartridges are in each turntable?

George
I have Empire 8000 cart, Grado M1+ and basic AT -95 in rotation. Personally, I prefer Empire over others.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 07:45:05 PM »
The Empire and the Grado are both better compliance matches to the Denon.    Only the AT is better suited to the Sony.   So, I guess put the Empire on the Denon and keep it, put the AT on the Sony and sell it (probably for less than what it is worth) and keep the Grado as a good spare for the Denon.

Is the air filled platter mat for the Sony still present and in good condition?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 07:46:57 PM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

Offline Vpgh

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 10:01:32 PM »
Have no idea about air filled, just pict.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 10:09:20 PM »
The black dots should be "squishy".   It looks very nice.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 06:25:15 AM »
I’d keep both but that Sony looks real nice.
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!