Author Topic: A Trip to the Schitter  (Read 2126 times)

OldiesButGoodies

A Trip to the Schitter
« on: June 24, 2018, 02:26:48 AM »
Had a chance to visit the Schiit Audio factory and store (called the Schiitter) this weekend (actually meant to visit the store,  but started at the factory by mistake - good outcome anyway).

The store is not really a store,  more like a demo room,  and a relaxed one.  You go in and they offer coffee and encourage you to go into the rooms and try stuff out on your own. There are two rooms - a listening room with two sets of speakers and a couch,  and another room full of DACs and headphones to try out.

IMG_4002 by Jose Sifontes, on Flickr

The soon-to-be-announced Schitt turntable - sounded amazing!   Great imaging and separation (and the target price will be less than $1K):

[They had Salk spoeakers hooled up (and KEF LS-50s).  The Salks sounded very nice:

Did most of my listening on this Vidar pre (recommended if you are not into tape):

They have a small collection of vinyl.  You go in the room and they leave you in there to play whatever media you prefer. I stuck to vinyl:

I need to get a copy  of this book:

(bok available here: https://www.amazon.com/Schiit-Happened-Worlds-Improbable-Start-Up-ebook/dp/B00Z5IFTYO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529821749&sr=8-1&keywords=schiit+happened)

The headphone room:

Worth a visit if you are ever in the Santa Clarita area.

OBG
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 02:30:30 AM by OldiesButGoodies »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: A Trip to the Schitter
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 07:31:17 AM »
The table looks like a U-Turn on steroids.   I wonder if they have any relation.   I bet you could have bought a copy of the book there.   I love well done factory tours and factory stores.   When we were out in the Philly area for a week a couple years back, we went on a tour of the Martin Guitar factory in Nazareth PA.   It was an amazing time.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 07:32:44 AM »
I went Googling for a picture of the U-Turn "unipivot" arm for comparison, and it seems they changed it in 2016.   Could only find the new arm.

Do you know what cart they had on it, or are they releasing their own cartridge as well?

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 07:35:29 AM »
Really nice looking turn table, especially if it comes in under a grand.
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 07:59:28 AM »
Thanks, Pepe.  great pics and it looks like a fun way to spend an afternoon.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

bearjew

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 10:24:38 AM »
I was out there a few days before Pepe (I wonder how he got the idea to go).  The guy running the shop (forget his name) said that the turntable, which is called the Sol, is hopefully going to be sold UNDER 700 dollars WITH a tonearm AND cart.  I imagine the cart will not be the best, but that table and arm alone could sell for way north of 1000 and would still sell well.

As far as the store goes, it's pretty neat.  The guy said that he just runs it for people to do demos, and that it was opened just for people to check it out, and they had no intention of selling anything even though stuff is for sale.  Turns out that the place makes a profit even though it wasn't meant to.  Can't argue with their quality, especially for the price.