Author Topic: Forman PL Plus Series II  (Read 2111 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
Forman PL Plus Series II
« on: July 21, 2018, 10:03:35 AM »
Picked up two of these last night. One is functional and in use on the home theater setup. The other was a freebie because the voltage lights on the front are not working. Googled til my patience ran out. There's very little info on these out there, perhaps they don't "break". In any event, anyone have any thoughts? Seems the outlets on the back work, but I don't have a clue if they're protected or conditioning. I plan to contact Furman on Monday for their thoughts or info on repair.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: Forman PL Plus Series II
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 11:44:34 AM »
Furman.   Took a second for me to know what you were talking about.   I use a Furman on the two channel system.   They are very popular in pro sound reinforcement applications.   In the home theater I use the Panamax that I found at the thrift.   The switched bank of outlets on that one is very handy for me.    I figured out that the reason it was donated is that one of the LEDs is out.   It has an LED power meter segmented in 5 volt increments.   I thought we were consistently running a bit brown at closer to 115 volts than 120.   Then one night late I saw it jump up to 125, with the 120 LED still out.   In my case, I feel certain that this is just indicative of a rare burnt LED, but in your case I understand why you would have concern that perhaps it's just the display that is out or perhaps there is some larger problem upstream of the display.   I think contacting the manufacturer is a good next step.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 11:50:04 AM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 01:54:50 PM »
Autocorrect thinks it’s so smart but never gets words right when I need it to help. I tried to edit, but it seems we no longer have that ability.

I opened the lid and poked around. No bulged or split caps or any other hints. I’m hoping it’s just a matter of replacing the PCB with a new one. Can’t see 10 or 15 leds all burning out.

Watched about 1.5 hrs of tv last night and I swear I now have tighter bass and generally fuller sound. Perhaps it’s what I want to hear. In any case, the LEDs seem to bounce between 120 and 125 fairly regularly.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 03:13:15 PM »

Watched about 1.5 hrs of tv last night and I swear I now have tighter bass and generally fuller sound. Perhaps it’s what I want to hear. In any case, the LEDs seem to bounce between 120 and 125 fairly regularly.

I'm a big believer in power conditioning.   I believe you are hearing a difference.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 06:29:54 PM »
I use a Furman Elite 15 pfi, I think it is.... in my main system. I do not condition my main amp, nor my sub woofer, but noticed clearly better sound from the system after install....  lol I have a vintage Adcom conditioner that is a good example of what a very bad conditioner can do to a system or piece of equipment though lol   It really strangles the sound
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...