Author Topic: Realistic APM 200 or alternative  (Read 5667 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
Realistic APM 200 or alternative
« on: August 09, 2018, 01:56:29 PM »
In the evening I like sit with the lights out and listen to records. My integrated amp doesn’t have meters. I need or want meters. So googled a bit and came across the Realistic APM 200. Simply run a wire from each speaker terminal to the unit and bam you got meters. The unit is high impedance so it doesn’t add much of any load. I’m sold, until I saw the price!! They go around $200. Too high for me. Anyone know of an alternative?

I put a few decibel meters on my iPhone and mirrored the display to the Apple TV. That gave me 70” meters, but they’re digital display meters and I’d prefer some old school analog meters. Mac meters would be killer, but I don’t see that happening.

Offline Magnaryder

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Ray Campbell, Rush chairman, damn glad to meet you
Magnaryder-EAR Yoshino V20 Integrated amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Rega P3TT,SME 3009 arm, Grado Statement Master1 cart, 2018 CarverFest 275 Amplifiers, CarverFest 2011 EL84 amplifiers Nos 50/51 Stax Earspeakers, Spatial Audio M3 OB loudspeakers and the Carver Research DarkStar sub.

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
Re: Realistic APM 200 or alternative
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 05:27:28 PM »
Well, if we are brainstorming...  I would get an old vintage cassette deck...  This way you will have two "matched" meters.  Many of the old ones were illuminated...  Of course you will need other parts/components to complete...

I remember back in the day, when I  built an led power output display...  The kit was like $7!!!  If you could find something similar...  Probably be a little more expensive today!!!  :)

Funny, I  had similar thoughts of getting/building a power Meter  (or two or three) just a few days ago...

Please keep us/me informed of the progress...

George
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 05:29:42 PM by gdv »
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 05:39:40 PM »
In the evening I like sit with the lights out and listen to records. My integrated amp doesn’t have meters. I need or want meters. So googled a bit and came across the Realistic APM 200. Simply run a wire from each speaker terminal to the unit and bam you got meters. The unit is high impedance so it doesn’t add much of any load. I’m sold, until I saw the price!! They go around $200. Too high for me. Anyone know of an alternative?

I put a few decibel meters on my iPhone and mirrored the display to the Apple TV. That gave me 70” meters, but they’re digital display meters and I’d prefer some old school analog meters. Mac meters would be killer, but I don’t see that happening.

Good to know this dysfunction is more widespread,  I have it too.   Old HP power supply meters (like 60s stuff) are great for this.  Another fun analog signal display is any old oscilloscope you can score on Craigslist.  Yet another option is to connect the record-out signal to the mic input of a computer running Audigy or similar signal-graphing software. 

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 06:34:31 PM »
I like Magnaryder's suggestion, actually found a set of blue Mac imitations, 2 meters and board for $60. Might go that way, except don't like ordering from China and waiting forever.

Seems we may have lost the ability to embed video(?)...anyhow, here's a link to what I've been doing with the phone/apple tv/TV.

http://youtu.be/y964CHYHkwk

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 08:24:58 PM »
And here's the link:

http://youtu.be/y964CHYHkwk

For crying out loud, how the heck do we post links??? It appears in the preview, then not in the post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y964CHYHkwk&feature=youtu.be

Screw it, if you want to see it search for tv meters - my youtube name is scorpio3x3
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 08:30:36 PM by scorpio333 »

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 08:36:09 PM »
Seems we may have lost the ability to embed video(?)

This site is on life support,  be happy we can still communicate through it!   

Regards,

pepe

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 09:47:04 PM »
scorpio, I had exactly the same thing happen when I tried to post a video, then just a link of Jolene at 33 rpm.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 09:47:46 PM »
Seems we may have lost the ability to embed video(?)

This site is on life support,  be happy we can still communicate through it!   

Regards,

pepe

You're the Admin, get on it.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 10:50:49 PM »
I'd be glad to pay a few $ per month to get a new site up.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 08:42:42 AM »
Scorpio
You could throw a cassette deck that has meters into the signal chain(if that's a term).  I have at least one that's around you might be able to use.  Let me know.

Mike
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers